Some pics....well maybe a few more than some

Wulff

As mentioned in the Lunar Eclipse thread, been a long time lurker of OFC and have enjoyed this forum and the pics here. Finally decided to sign up and participate some here.

Thought to add some pics here by way of introducting myself while waiting for the eclipse to advance.

My main photographic interest is Wildlife and in particular Birds of Prey. Heres a small sampling.

Couple Harris Hawk images

p818929828.jpg

p303812078.jpg

Northern Harrier

p81206098.jpg

Coopers Hawk

p228328676-5.jpg

Snowy Owl

p1042066251-4.jpg

Lots more where they came from but I like 4 legged wildlife to

p325283749-4.jpg

Even Deer can fly on occasion.

p762140279-4.jpg

Wolves to

p670314919-4.jpg

Dabble in a little macro

p337478095-5.jpg

p695669610-4.jpg

A little landscape

p377396054-4.jpg

p434161879-4.jpg

and of coarse fishing

p433613657-4.jpg

p764488592-4.jpg

p359828882-4.jpg

Im sure in time I'll be adding lots more

Edited by Wulff

Thanks all, really do appreciate it.

Bushart.

Yes, everything with the exception of the two landscape posted (which are from Nova Scotia) are from Southern Ontario. As for copyright I'm not overly sticky about things and if asked generally dont mind if people want a smaller copy such as what I've uploaded to the web which are typically 1024x760. Some I won't as they may be in an editors hands for possible publishing but with that exception I generally dont say no. Im what you might classify as an advanced amateur, I do this for fun not a living. My whole life has been in the outdoors/fishing and stepping over into "Outdoor" photography was an easy but addictive step. If you see an image that clicks in your mind as one you could use for the basis of a watercolor, ask away.

The worst I can say is no. :)

J

Thanks,

I have something on the easel currently but I will keep that in mind for the future.

I use acrylics mostly.

I'm likin those birds of prey---what caught my eye was those spread out tail feathers on what I believe is the hawk (with leg straps on)

I will ask prior if I'm thinking that direction though.

Once again nice stuff

Bushart

Send me a pm if you ever see one.

The bird in question is a Harris Hawk and is part of a Falconry series I'm working on. Her name is Artemis and shes a first year bird.

p413025387-4.jpg

What your seeing on her legs are either the Jesses which are used as restraints by her handler.

p80389164-4.jpg

Or your seeing her "Chaps" which are there to protect her legs and Talons from bites which can occur when she takes down Squirrels, Rabbits and the like.

p683844236-4.jpg

J

Welcome to OFC Wulff and thanks for those incredible pictures, you've got a real talent for catching wildlife in motion.

I especially luv the shot of the rabbit in mid-air, that's truly amazing that you were able to capture a picture like that !!

Looking forward to the rest of your collection.

Hi Mistyjr.

Most of my wildlife pictures will have been taken with a 400mm f5.6 prime Lens, usually wihtout a 1.4 TC, as I prefer the fastest possible focus speed, but sometimes when reach is more important I add the TC. The body I'm currently using is Canons 1DMKIIn, although alot of my older stuff like the wolves and stuff would have been taken with Canons 30D. When wildlife shooting I always have my gear mounted on a Bushawk. It makes shooting Birds in flight alot more intuitive and adds some support when at low shutter speeds.

Heres the 400 and 30D mounted on the Buhhawk

p233002213-4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I can only imagine (probably not) of how many pics you actually shot to get those action shots. Very impressive indeed.

It depends on what you mean by alot :)

Some shots/sequences can be as little or no more than 1 to 3 images, others I might choose to keep 1 frame from a 8 frame burst.

Some days I go out and struggle trying to decide which 100 to keep from 500. Others days I struggle to to take 50 for lack of subjects :)

Either way, yes when you use a high speed body like the 1DmkIIn at 8.5 frames/second and a 24 image buffer *and* you shoot wildlife in action. There are days when I'm filling 2 and 4 gig cards.

Heres 3 of 4 images in sequence which represents a half second in elapsed time.

In sequence

p508802125-4.jpg

p303812078-4.jpg

4 ( 3 isnt available)

p80389164-4.jpg

So as you might imagine on a good outing where theres alot happening blowing through 300,400,600 images is not all that hard.

The hard part is deciding which ones to keep. Typically if I got a good sequence of 3 to 6 frames Id only keep 1 or 2.