Lake & Lodge Recommendations For Temagami Region?

setomonkey

Hi all,

My buddy and I usually plan our annual fishing trip in the Fall but for various reasons I won't bore you with we haven't gotten around to talking about it until now.

We've fished Nippissing the last couple of years and have enjoyed it but would like to try something new. It's a big province and there are so many great fishing opportunities, so we would like to keep exploring.

Was curious about the Temagami region. Don't know it at all, and I'm hoping that some of you would be able to recommend one of the smaller lakes in the region. I can use TJ's lodge guide and do some online searching to find specific lodges, but I don't know where to start looking first.

We usually go on our week away in late June (has overlapped with the Lakair g2g the last two years), but we're a bit flexible with time if that's not a good time to go (or if the lodges are already booked up).

We're not stuck on the Temagami region either, if you want to suggest another new region to try.

Any help appreciated!

Mike

Edited by setomonkey

Thanks guys, I've been hearing Temagami is a tough lake to figure out. What about one of the smaller lakes nearby?

Mike

Thanks guys, I've been hearing Temagami is a tough lake to figure out.

What about one of the smaller lakes nearby?

Or would you recommend somewhere else up to 6-7 hours from Toronto?

Mike

Wayne's cottage :D

Hahaha, I agree :D:D

Mike , I would be cautious about going to Temagami. We have a fellow OFC'er who has spared no expense in targetting those fish and seems to come up empty handed or light stringer at best. Consider spending your hard earned dollars elsewhere. Good luck.

So, you know about Wayne's fishing experiences too calamari1965 ? :lol:

I can't comment on the accomodations at Wayne's World Resort,

because I'm still waiting for a chance to see first hand the renovations he's done. ;)

Seriously setomonkey, Irishfield spends a lot of time there, so maybe he'll chip in some info

on resorts/lodges or send him a pm.

Good luck!

Edited by Carp

I've already Pm'd with Mike Remo. Not much I can offer in the good and bad of lodges up there, so I told him to start this thread. I also already advised him he'd be happier on one of the smaller area lakes for numbers and boat comfort (read WAVES) if he's using a small lodge rental boat.

Edited by irishfield

Yup,

I PMed Wayne as soon as my buddy and I started talking about the Temagami region. I'd prefer one of the smaller lodges, preferably with some access to back country lakes.

Thanks guys, any other ideas are welcome, hope everybody has a great Xmas.

eddyk, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out!

Mike

Mike , I would be cautious about going to Temagami. We have a fellow OFC'er who has spared no expense in targetting those fish and seems to come up empty handed or light stringer at best. Consider spending your hard earned dollars elsewhere. Good luck.

:dunno: It's not just Temagami.... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've already Pm'd with Mike Remo. Not much I can offer in the good and bad of lodges up there, so I told him to start this thread. I also already advised him he'd be happier on one of the smaller area lakes for numbers and boat comfort (read WAVES) if he's using a small lodge rental boat.

Good stuff Wayne.

Whenever someone mentions Temagami,

I have visions of the float plane parked out by the dock.

Naturally, I thought since you're up there so much in the summer,

you may have some info for him.

Mike, I haven't figured out how to post a link on the new board yet, but have a look at www.lostlakelodge.com

It's n/w of Temagami, up near Gowganda, and we spent a week there a few years back and really enjoyed the place. More like a bunch of cottages than a resort, but well maintained and clean. They have a restaurant if you like, or do your own cooking in the cabin.

It's on Lost Lake, but he has boats on about 6 other nearby lakes and you portage between them and carry your fish'n gear, along with a small outboard and gas can, but the walks are all short and easy.

When we were there, the only access to the other lakes was thru his property, so basically the only folks you'd see all day were others from the same place. We were there in June and pretty well had all the lakes to ourselves.

We mostly only fished for bass that week, but it was incredible and about the best smallmouth fish'n I've ever encountered.

Have a look and I'm pretty sure you'll like the place.

Although I've never openwater fished the area I've stayed at Northland Paradise in Temagami. Walking distance to the town on Cassels Lake. Have caught lake trout, whitefish & ling thru the ice. Always enjoyed my stays but it has been over 15 years since I was last there. The lake also is said to have bass, pike & walleye. Same owners as the last time I was there.

Best Wishes: Rick