Toronto under a Heavy Snowfall Warning (20cm)

ccmtcanada

I woke up this morning, tuned into 680 news and they said that to the west of Toronto there was a heavy snowfall warning as lake effect snow would fall there before the main storm arrives at 4 or 5 this afternoon. Based on that, I drove in...I would have normally just taken the train. Anyways, by 9am it's snowing like crazy at Yonge/Eglinton.

They now changed it to say that the lake effect snow will shift further north to include Toronto/Pickering (no kidding...just look outside....LOL). Anyhow, Toronto is now bracing for 20cm of snow ending by 2am.

Here's the warning from environment Canada.

Be safe everyone...leave lots of space out there, take your time and get home safe.

Warnings

City of Toronto

8:43 AM EST Tuesday 12 February 2008

Snowfall warning for

City of Toronto issued

Total snowfall of 15 to 20 centimetres for today and tonight.

Radar show bands of lake effect snow developing over Lake Ontario moving inland with increasing easterly winds ahead of a low pressure system approaching the lower Great Lakes. This lake effect snow bands are expected to give up to 10 centimetres of local snowfall on top of another 5 to 10 centimetres from the approaching low pressure system this afternoon and tonight. Local visibilities in the lake effect snow bands could drop suddenly to less than 1 kilometre due to heavy snowfall and blowing snow. Motorists are advised to excercise extreme caution.sterly winds ahead of a low pressure system approaching the lower Great Lakes. This lake effect snow bands are expected to give up to 10 centimetres of local snowfall on top of another 5 to 10 centimetres from the approaching low pressure system this afternoon and tonight. Local visibilities in the lake effect snow bands could drop suddenly to less than 1 kilometre due to heavy snowfall and blowing snow. Motorists are advised to excercise extreme caution.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Jeez Cliff, when did you ever believe the weatherman ??

Just because I can't see across the street right now because it's snowing so hard doesn't mean he's actually gonna be right this time..........does it ?? :lol:

LOL Lew...your right...we're probably in for 40cm.... :lol:

Why do y'all measure your snow in centimeters (forget the decimeter issue :rolleyes: ) and measure your fish in inches??? :dunno:

Same reason some folks buy gas by the litre, but go to the store and ask for a quart of milk.

And some of us still use the old imperial system for EVERYTHING Glen, just the way it's sposed to be done :thumbsup_anim:

Same reason some folks buy gas by the litre, but go to the store and ask for a quart of milk.

And some of us still use the old imperial system for EVERYTHING Glen, just the way it's sposed to be done :thumbsup_anim:

I agree Lew. Can't tell what good gas mileage is for a vehicle unless I hear how many miles per gallon it gets.

hmmmm

I measure every thing in millimetres...makes it sound bigger

Terry :clapping:

Anyone know how to drive down there?

Took my daughter from 9:30 to 10:30pm to drive from Carlton/Jarvis.. across bloor and down the ramp to the DVP North and then get back off again for Bloor/Bayview and head up Bayview. 50 minutes of it was from ramp to ramp on the DVP. Then just called me from the Wendy's on 400.. another hour to there. 2 hours to do a 20 minute trip. I should see her about 2 !

Wayne I can tell you from personal experience...very few people know how to drive in this stuff in Toronto. I saw on the news that lots of people were spinning their wheels on the DVP trying to go uphill. Should be fun at work today, none of the buses have Snow Tires :P

Maureen

Can't agree with you more Wayne! My normal commute home is about 45 minutes, door to door! Yesterday, I left the office at 4:30 and arrived home at 7:05! At one time, we actually managed to get up to 40k!

If you are not confident driving in this stuff, STAY HOME!

HH