RADAR TRAPS on the 404..AGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jat

so there I was going 180 clicks an hour when all the sudden (Kidding. kidding......lol)....I was traveling northbound on the 404 and saw a little black speck at the top of the bridge. I say to myself, is that a cop? I was going maybe around 120 or less so I get closer and BAM!!!! Its a cop!!!!! Immediately slow down but its already too late to fake it. The guy had a radar and binoculars attached. So did I get the ticket? How do they work it? Do they radio ahead and then have a unit pull you over or do they treat it like a photo radar and send you the ticket later on in them mail. I don't even know if it was OPP or York Region...man this sucks, I hope I didn't get tagged. :(

Jat don't sweat it Buddy your not going to get a ticket.

I drive 1000 to 1500 kms a week I often set my cruise control at 115 to 118 KPH I have gone by many radar traps in Ontario and Quebec and I do not slow down when passing the police.So far so good.I was told by an officer here in Quebec there are far too many people going over 120kph and thats when it is more worth the effort to pull you over more $$$$$$$$$$.Many drivers hover in the 100 to 120kph range anyone over that usually gets the ticket.

Maybe one day I will get a ticket but for now it always works for me.

:canadian:

you're fine... over 120 they might have flagged you OR they weren't reset with chasers.

Do yourself a favour, if you need to speed go by the 10% rule...

100=110

90=99

80=88

You'll never get tagged and the you'll still feel like a rebel.

-Brian

Well the way i was told by a cop,was if traffic is doing 120,and everyones doing that and all of a sudden thers a car doing 130-135 well he sticks out big time,just like a sore thumb !!!!!...i was on the 400 going to bass pro today and we were doing about 110 and the opp was right in the mix of things and didnt bother anyone there was the odd car maybe doing 5 or so kms faster in the passing lane and nobody got pulled over i followed him from the 401 all the way to bass pro,and he was watching i could see hime looking at cars !!! i would imagine he was looking for seatbelts !!!! i always try and do what traffic is doing and always use your blinker when changing lanes they look for that big-time....that can get you a careless driving charge if you mistakenly cut someone off !!!! great questions and interesting thread.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

coming back from the West marine in Midland 2 wednesdays past Dad and I , movin anywhere between 130 and 150 @ times the roads where bare and hardly any traffic,come thru the one overpass near the Bot job on HWY 400 outside Mactier BAMMM looked back and the lights are blingin,got me at 137 in a 100 and ticketed me for the full amount 4 points and a 300.00 fine,I WAS havin a great day till then,anyhow long story short he gave me my license back and told me if I where doing 118 or less I wouldent have seen him today

I saw them set up like that a few years ago on the QEW somewhere around the Grimsby area.

A cop with a radar gun was up on the overpass bridge and 2 chase cars were below, just out of sight behind the bridge and on the entrance ramp to the highway and a 3rd had someone pulled over. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. Luckily I was within limits and made it through the trap.

You have to be careful, stay within a safe range cross your fingers and you'll be OK.

also do they view 120 an hour as the given maximum or are they following the 100Kmh strictly.....anybody know a cop, ask them for please...thanks

Usually, one the 400 series they won't give a ticket unless you're doing 20-25 over. In the city I don't give tickets unless you're moving 20 over

bad boyz, bad boyz, whatcha gonna do.....watcha gonna do when they come for you......

sorry couldn't resist......rotfl..........you guys must eat that show up..........

FishnNAutographs , be safe out there man, I heard some whackos near 400 and Major Mac shot some guy in the head, armed robbery, car jacking and they had to call the chase off? They need to get these crack heads off the street ASAP!!!!!!

bad boyz, bad boyz, whatcha gonna do.....watcha gonna do when they come for you......

sorry couldn't resist......rotfl..........you guys must eat that show up..........

FishnNAutographs , be safe out there man, I heard some whackos near 400 and Major Mac shot some guy in the head, armed robbery, car jacking and they had to call the chase off? They need to get these crack heads off the street ASAP!!!!!!

Thanks for your thoughts JAT, it's nice to know people out there still think of us. I know my boys in 4 District can handle themselves....i'm out in Markham though....not as busy as Vaughan....

ya know, a few years back I applied and passed all my physicals for york region. I wrote a test and was pretty easy but still didn't make it, oh well, I guess I was meant to do something else with my life. I was asked to reapply but said forget it and that was the end of that.

you're a good man...LOL

lol....thanks i try...you'd be surprised how fast people drive. A buddy of mine just caught a guy going 117 in a 40 in his friends mom's brand new mercedes....lol...that sucks...no car or licence for 7 days and up to $10,000 fine which he won't get...i've seen fines that should be $5000 be dropped to $100 because the JP feels sorry for the slime ball driving without insurance because he can't afford it....system's not perfect but we gotta work with it....

I like to drive 130 on the highway (weather/conditions permitting).

It will pretty well get you a ticket if you get caught, so it keeps you real alert as to what's going on around you.

The easiest way to stop paying attention to the road and everything around you is to drive a boring 100kph.

just go the speed limit and you have nothing to worry about...plus you save on fuel costs too. Just leave early and leave yourself extra time to get places, its not hard to go the speed limit even thou people thik it is. Speed limits are there for a reason....to keep us safe, not piss you off cause it seems to slow!!!! The people that should be pulled over if they are speeding is parents with children in there vehicle. Why do people feel they need to go 130-150 with children in the vehicle....very iresponsible!

Edited by charlied

i do about 5000km a month and i can tell you i have never been pulled over when my cruise is set at 118 i drive by them all the time and dont slow down at all.

That is on the 400 series highways. in residential areas you are better off to stay around the speed limit not so much to avoid the ticket as to avoid little ones running around.

Cheers!

1. If you didn't get pulled over, you are fine; this time only. "Speeding Trap" is not working the same way as a "red light camera". I guess it's part of police's procedure to pull you over, let you know about the offence and hand you the ticket.

2. When traffic is light, stay within the speed limits, otherwise "move with the traffic" and in general try as much as possible to not single out yourself. (I'd like to think of the lion chasing the buffalo herd: he'll never catch one that runs with the herd.)

Offtopic:

Does anyone know what was the legal outcome of the red-light cameras?

At some point it's been challenged in the higher Courts for the photos being accepted as evidence in Court. It was dealing with the fact that there is only circumstantial evidence that a certain person actually drove the car, since there was presented only a snapshot of the car/license plate.

The cameras are still around, though...

All the laws for photo radar are still on the books, just not currently being enforced.

The legislation for red-light cameras are separate, but work the same. The owner of the vehicle is fined, but no points.

The OPP don't pull people over for anything under 30-over, unless it's near the end of the month and they are short on "performance expectations". City traffic po-po will bust anything and everything.

Jat, you're fine. It was a laser setup on a tripod you saw (they can zap you out past 2km with that), if you were paying attention you might've seen a few chase cars just past the bridge, usually parked on the onramps. If you weren't ticketed on the spot you aren't going to be.

Does anyone know what was the legal outcome of the red-light cameras?

At some point it's been challenged in the higher Courts for the photos being accepted as evidence in Court. It was dealing with the fact that there is only circumstantial evidence that a certain person actually drove the car, since there was presented only a snapshot of the car/license plate.

The cameras are still around, though...

This is no different than a parking ticket. I don't see any difference between ticketing the owner of a car when they don't know who parked it and ticketing the owner for speeding or running a red light without knowing who was driving. It would be different if demerit points were involved.