tackle bags vs. boxes????

sconceptor

Who prefers what?

A few years ago, I switched up to using soft sided tackle bags instead of hard plastic boxes. I'm getting pretty sick of the lack of stability in the soft sided bags, and trying to jam in the insert boxes and such.

I think I'm going to pick up a nice new hard plastic box. I like the new features they've got. I like the new compartments. I like the top tray that has quick access for you best and most used gear. I like the 4 or 5 insertable plastic boxes, just like the soft bags. I like the small compartments for hooks, jigs, swivels, weights, etc. I like the big spaces for the pliers, measuring tape, etc. They are not as bad as the old big plastic boxes with folding trays! They now seem to be better than the soft sided bags. I think it's time to buy a nice big one!

I need to win a lottery or find a sweet sugar momma to support me!!!!

I like my soft sided bag because of two things:

1 - the shoulder strap which leaves my hands free for other things (like beer).

2 - if i forget to zip it up, when i pick it up, all the stuff does not fall out. with the old plastic boxes, my stuff was getting dumped out all the time which drove me nuts.

i've got a soft sided box and would never switch back...

main reason is you can buy a whole whack of plano boxes and load the ones you will need, and leave the ones you don't...

ex. you don't need bass tackle when going salmon trolling...

the shoulder strap is nice depending on how much stuff you load in... the more you load in it, the more soar your shoulder gets...

this is the one i have and it can fit 6 3700 size planos in there, and i have another 15-20 at home...

59394.jpg

I like my soft sided bag because of two things:

1 - the shoulder strap which leaves my hands free for other things (like beer).

2 - if i forget to zip it up, when i pick it up, all the stuff does not fall out. with the old plastic boxes, my stuff was getting dumped out all the time which drove me nuts.

Agreed,

In addition, I like the extra pockets to seperate my gear instead of piling everything into the bottom of the box only to have the box not close.

I can add/exchange different inserts with different lure types with the bag.

The bag doesn't crack when I drop it on the ground or slam a car door on it.

7271.jpg

I have one of these, got it at WallyWorld (Walmart)

It combines the compartment abilty of soft sides, with the tuffness of a

traditional tackle box.

However, I still use my soft side more than this thing, Its just too awkward,

unless your fishing from a boat.

About 5 years ago the Walmart at Morningside Mall (now in ruble) was selling of Plano bags that came with 4 clear plastic included boxes for $6 each. I bought 20 of them. Now I have 80 clear boxes that are neatly stacked on the self downstairs. I just load up the boxes I need for a fishing trip that I need. The left over soft bags are stored in a card board box. If an old one needs replacing I'm ready. If a buddy needs one, I'm ready. It's not fancy but very practical.

I've had a few tackle boxes where the latch (plastic) would break somewhere. It couldn't be fixed. If I'm bush whacking, I would,t dream of carrying anything but a tackle bag. Tackle boxes tip over too easily on Banks or a rocking boat. I like the fact that I can just carry my tackle and fish at the same time. I even switched from a vest (steelheading) to a river bag. For me it's the way to go.

Just my 2 cents.

muddler

That pic of the Walmart hard box........that's what I'm talking about, but maybe a little larger.

Look at the sweet top! The most used crankbaits can go in those ones on either side of the top, the best spinner baits have a nice home, there's some room for big gear. Then it still has the slide out boxes, that can be switched with what I've got going on in my soft sides.

I agree, it's mostly good for fishing from a boat, but then the soft bags are basically best for a lot of walking. I'll still use a mid sized soft bag for plastics and their hooks/jigs. However, I think my main crankbaits will come fishing with me in a hard box. The back up lures can sit in the cabin in soft bags.

i've got a soft sided box and would never switch back...

main reason is you can buy a whole whack of plano boxes and load the ones you will need, and leave the ones you don't...

ex. you don't need bass tackle when going salmon trolling...

the shoulder strap is nice depending on how much stuff you load in... the more you load in it, the more soar your shoulder gets...

this is the one i have and it can fit 6 3700 size planos in there, and i have another 15-20 at home...

59394.jpg

Wow Goran, I remember that 1 tackle box you would bring to the pier, now you got 20+ planos, dam, you don't waste time.

Guest lundboy

I have been through more tackle boxes and bags than I can remember. Everyone of them had something not quite right. I've tried Plano, Tackle Logic, Shimano, Flambough. Cost a ton of money and almost all have been given away to friends or Sally Ann.

Boxes are a problem because they don't have a carry strap, and they slide all over the boat and fall over, as well as being noisy. The space inside most of them is not flexible enough for my needs.

Bags are better for me. As someone already said you can get a bunch of 3600s or 3700s (depending on the bag) and sort your tackle in them and just put the ones you need in the bag for your trip. And for some reason they stay put in the boat, and of course are quiet. Also they don't hurt when you trip over them.

Whatever you pick, avoid the ones that have the boxes stored horizontally on the bottom of the bag, underneath the top compartment or you will have the bag constantly collapsing, and boxes are a pain to get at. Try to get a bag that has the boxes horizontally aligned and accessed from the top (like the bag below), you will be much happier.

The best one for me (which has ridged sides), lots of pockets, good zippers etc. is this one. I'm finally happy (for now) ;) Plus it has a big flap on top with quick snaps, so I don't have to zipper it all up to do a quick run somewhere.

Edited by lundboy

Well i have 2 of the biggest tackle bags that BPS sells,and they are the best,and i have all those small boxes that i can take seperatly ,i have a few just for bass,some for walleyes,some for crankbaits,so they are very versitile,and you can pack them right up,and they have heavy duty straps too...bags all the way !!!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I had a soft tackle bag for a couple years, and just switched back to a hard box for the same reasons you mentioned.

I bought a Plano 7771. It's the cats meow, man! I do sort of miss the shoulder strap, but the pros drastrically out-weigh the cons for me. Everything has a place and is easy to to get to. No more rummageing through a bag for a pair of pliers or a glove or a spool of line. Open the box and it's right there.

That said, I do still keep a "boat bag" with a few plastic tackle trays for all the extra lures that won't fit in just one box....

It boils down to personal preference. Find out what works best for you.

i've had a pretty good plano soft box for about 3 yrs now, i like the versatility of it but a big draw back for me is it's not water proof, goin out in the rain all my stuff gets wet then i have to put it out in the sun to dry up, or if there's a little water in the bottom of the boat,

if they make bags that are waterproof i'd pick up one of those, if not it'll be back to a hard box for me,

I fished with both a box (for hardbaits) and bag (with soft plastics) for the last five years. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but this year I'm switching to soft bags only. I picked up two Cabela's Stormproof bags, which hold a total of around 22 3700 size boxes (depending which boxes you use). They are bulky, but I can spread out my gear a lot better now with the flexible stowaway boxes, and not have to deal with trying to fish crankbaits out of a crowded compartments half covered by the tray above them. A Plano 3780 provides nice flexible bulk storage for things like line and pliers, and the Plano Flipsider boxes are the best spinnerbait boxes I've seen (with a little modification). I plan on picking up a smaller, more ergonomic bag (around 6 x 3700 capacity) for shore fishing.

if they make bags that are waterproof i'd pick up one of those, if not it'll be back to a hard box for me,

This was my biggest complaint about my previous bag. Plano Stormproof bags are supposed to be waterproof. I haven't put mine to the test yet.