Favorite color Walleye jig - help

joek

Hello,

I would like to know everyones opinion on their favorite color mister twister/grub/jig for walleye.

I am not a walleye chasser but will be visting Edger lake on a fly in this summer(July). I basically use either all black or all white grubs and dont know what color I should expect to be good up north.

I know there are lots of other lures for walleye, and these jigs may be tipped with a minnow or worm, but would like the following question answered.

1) Favorite color walleye grub. EX. black head/yellow tail?

2) Color you never caught any walleye on or dislike?

3) Do you prefer a standard mister twister type grub, or a mister twister shassy shad?

Thats funny you recommend the Berkly gulp 3" minnow. I started drop shotting last year, and I caugth a ton of differenct fish on that 3 inch minnow in the green. Everything from walleye, SM, LM, sauger, drum, channel cat, and carp. I guess I should use it as my walleye jig also. Green or regular color would you recomment up north?

I like using the "classic" twister tail grubs but I like the look of the minnow-shaped plastics too. I don't fish for walleye often but when I do I almost always jig, trying different colour combos.

My best success has come from a yellow or orange grub on a white jig, this is on Canadian Shield lakes that are either clear or tea-stained.

Mike

Dont think theres one color for all condishions. Water color (vizablity) , Sunny or overcast , Night or daytime , Type of nateral prey , Deep or shallow ..etc. etc. I start with a white or black and than fine tune from there , seen days when pink was the color or purple ???After I find a color their hitting , Once the bite slows down I change up again , Im allways playing with colors never found one that worked day in and day out . Remember years ago I had a thing called a Color-c-lector ? (sp) or such that we would lower down on the downrigger that would tell us what color was showing up best at the depth we were fishing (Its in a box in the basement now I think ) never trusted it much I guess as I think I only used it a few times the first year I got it , never tryed it in shallow lakes .

I gotta agree with bringing up a whole wack of colours - they can be finicky buggers for sure. That said for jig heads carrying black, white, red orange and yellow usually works. Classic twister tail grubs in white, brown, orange are a bit of a staple for me. This year the winner seemed to be this brown/orange one:

764405961_5bfe56b84f.jpg

But don't forget crankbaits and classic spining rigs - here's a pic of the stuff that worked for us on our trip up north this year:

772989242_ad75c530cf.jpg

I honestly don't think jig color plays a large part of it, now for the curly tails my best producers for fly in's all the way around have been, chartreuse or any combo with charteuse in it, white, motor oil w/metal flake, red w/metal flake. Yellow is one color that a lot of people will swear by but I have never had any great success with.

1) Favorite color walleye grub. EX. black head/yellow tail?

Mine: Black head and yellow or white tail 3 inch

2) Color you never caught any walleye on or dislike?

Mine: Never caught anything on a natural colour like pumpkin seed

3) Do you prefer a standard mister twister type grub, or a mister twister shassy shad?

Mine: I perfer the standard mister twister type

This set up is my most used bait for all types of fishing. I still perfer to use a regular twister tail and add my own scent by either tipping it with a minnow or worm.

Not really a walleye fisherman on purpose, more into bass, walleye by accident. No favorite color, I try to let the fish tell me what they want. I do believe color can make a difference, size of bait also.

Probably the most success on a white jig head and white grub(Berkley power grub) Black jig head and sassy shad in white with a black back. Bait fish patterns some success with black jighead and black grub(Leech pattern?). Generally 2 to 4 inch baits and 1/8 to 1/4 ounce jigheads.

I've fished literally hundreds of wilderness walleye lakes over the years and trust me the fish aren't that fussy.

All I use are 3" twister tails three colours, white, chartreuse and yellow. Jig heads in 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8oz sizes. Colour's not "that" important although the hot colours seem to work well in tannin stained waters....

One small plano box can cover all of my jigging needs for a month in the bush...

Keep it simple, especially on a fly-in!

The only other thing I'd recommend for your trip is a flat of nightcrawlers packed in worm bedding (much lighter than dirt). Tipping your jig with a piece of crawler will usually result in many more fish. It's not always necessary, but on a fly in trip I like to have all the bases covered.

Beyond that a small portable fishfinder is worth it's weight in gold to find humps, deep weedlines, dropoffs, etc.

Edgar by all accounts is a great fly in lake and by and large the fish will be relatively easy to catch.

Don't over analyse things, I'm sure you'll do well!

Aside from using dark or bright jig heads, I don't worry too much about colour at all. To me, the size (weight) of the jig is more important. I'm partial to hair jigs and use those almost exclusively....I'll sometimes tip them with worm, minnow or leech if the fishing is slow. The really important thing to me is the presentation...VERTICAL, VERTICAL, VERTICAL keeping control of the bait on the drop.