Hey Bell Canada! (NF)

bigfish1965

I'm not coming back. Man you are like an old girlfriend I once had. There's a reason I left...and you calling me 20 times a day affirms I made the right decision. Go away!!!

I have a new girl now....her name is VOIP. She's lovely. She's everything you were and more. She's way less maintenance and more reliable than you. She also takes alot less out of my pocket.

Sure we had some good times, me and you. Remember that month you insisted the noise in my line was from one of my phones? Remember how it turned out your wires went through a rabbit den and the bunnies had made a mess? Those were good times. How I laughed when you asked if the rabbits were mine...I mean I suppose since they were burrowing in my yard, maybe somehow you thought they belonged to me.

Remember when I asked for a partial refund for that month because my phone was unusable? That sure made you chuckle.

VOIP may not be as experienced as you, sure. But she makes up for it in her enthusiasm and her completeness. Remember all those extra 'packages' you wanted me to buy you? Call waiting, call display and all that...VOIP comes with her own!

Sure she isn't pretty and her modem is clunky, but she's been here each time I've needed her and she doesn't make me feel like a cash cow. It sure feels good.

Ya, aren't they fun to deal with, I can't wait until we have an option here. Unfortunatly we can't get hi speed or cable out here. Every time we have a line problem they try to convince me to buy their line maint. package or they are going to charge me $72.50 to fix the problem if it is on my side of the box. Funny how it always takes them ywo days to find and fix it when it's their equipment. I called last Tuesday because of a hum on the line. The first available appointment was on Thursday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Some APPOINTMENT! No wonder everyone else is taking business away from them.

Ok whats VOIP how much and where do I get it

VOIP + Voice over IP (Internet Protocol) it uses your existing high speed connection to make phone calls.. there WERE some issues w/ 911 in the past... but one thing still remains... Power outage = no service.. regardless if you have a NON-cordless (Corded) phone or not...

Hate to be devils advocate here.. but the only reason I have not switched to VOIP is incase of power failure. Atleast with Bell I can use a corded phone and get service.. I have seen their MASSIVE battery banks first hand @ their telcos.. a site to see for sure.

G.

YUP, Gerritt is on the stick again. 5 Years ago last August, the portables and cell phones were toast, but the land lines still worked great. Atta girrrl, Emily.

I bet Emily is cute too... to bad she is not real... Grrrrr. damn you and your automated hotness!... but seriously my simple basic corded phone was the only that worked in the house... heck my neighbours were asking to use it.... I could have made a small fortune in them alone! LOL... but did not..

Cordless is convenient but invest in a cheap corded.. as well for backup when the power goes..

G

VOIP + Voice over IP (Internet Protocol) it uses your existing high speed connection to make phone calls.. there WERE some issues w/ 911 in the past... but one thing still remains... Power outage = no service.. regardless if you have a NON-cordless (Corded) phone or not...

Hate to be devils advocate here.. but the only reason I have not switched to VOIP is incase of power failure. Atleast with Bell I can use a corded phone and get service.. I have seen their MASSIVE battery banks first hand @ their telcos.. a site to see for sure.

G.

My brother just ordered a massive battery backup for our VOIP/internet setup and it runs for up to an hour if the power goes out. It constantly recharges itself, so if the power blips off and on there is no interruption and if the power shuts off for up to an hour (which almost never happens here) there is no loss of service.. Battery is pictured far right. The black cube like box

rig.jpg

G.

Not necesssarily..most new VoIP modems/routers have a built in Gell Cell battery that should last a day or 2. In the last big outage the Bell CO in Newmarket died quickly...Bell is no longer reliable like they used to be.

I work for a very large networking manufacturer and we sell VoIP solutions to Bell's competitors...one of the fastest growing parts of our biz....

Thankfully Bell still has the nerve to charge more than double of their competetors...e.g. Primus, Cogeco, etc...

Edited by Ted & the Gadget

Guess someone has to pay for all them thar wires they strung over the last 100 years...that the CRTC let everyone else use for free.. :P

Actually the infrastructure has been paid for ten times over... And usage of these wires is far from free as any competitor has to pay significant "contribution" fees... Bell has had a good long free ride on taxpayers backs for way too long. Where else can you have a monoply biz for almost 100 years with a guarenteed rate of return in excess of 10%. How else does a company get to $35,000,000,000.00 when most of their customers detest them???

I hear ya Rick! Went through similar scenario the week my wife was due. They kept telling me it was something inside.....a tech came, didn't find anything, left....then they insisted I troubleshoot what the tech should of found...turns out, it was a line in the main box for the neighbourhood. They replaced that 5 days later, bam, phone working. Too bad I'm changing my ISP and phone now. Can't go with Gogeco for my ISP since they throttle torrents too.....but am going VOIP with cogeco. Btw, is there an echo, I heard that is common with the VOIP?

Edited by Hooked

Btw, is there an echo, I heard that is common with the VOIP?

I've never experienced an echo but sometimes if someone calls me from a Bell line and I answer here on the Voip some of my speaking doesn't come through. Kind of like when you are losing a cell phone call and have to ask the other person to repeat what they said because every few words is broken up or missing. But if I'm using the VOIP line here talking to someone without VOIP it all sounds good to me. This used to happen a lot to me a few years ago when VOIP was new, but I can honestly say I haven't seen it happen anytime lately. No one has mentioned the sound being bad in over a year I'd say. I was always told it was due to the internet traffic going through the modem. As in, it would only happen during peak hours. It was really annoying though because the person on the VOIP line would have no idea you couldn't make out what they were saying and would talk and talk and then have to repeat it all for you.

Edited by Beats

I would never use Primus for anything... I was a network admin for Globalserv, they were then bought by Primus... Primus then let EVERYONE go... pretty much with out notice and closed the office. lol

Primus left a sore taste in my mouth..

G