Chapleau Outfitters & Air Service

Chrispy

Has anyone been out with Chapleau Outfitters & Air Service?? I just met Lee Cole at a fishing show in Detroit and he seems like he is a good honest Dude.....My Dad and I are thinking of going with him for a week.....the price that he gave us includes all our food, boat, bait, and 2 separate fly outs to different lakes for other species....please let me know if you have any info on him and his camp...thanks!

Chrispy!

Remember first time I met Lee thought he was goona sell me chicken (Hes a spitting image of the col , white gotee long white hair etc.in a bright orange flight suit). You will have a great time ,Lee's been around for years . Remeber one spring cant remeber the lake but on the island just off the shore from our camp two twin baby moose were born have some great moose pics from that trip.Been on 6- or 7 trips with Lee and allways had a good time , tho the fish were plentyfull we never got any real trophys but the service was allways good , boats didnt leak ,motors worked and cabins all kept out the cold . Not much on luxery tho (you get what you pay for ) but for the price I would go again any time ..

A word of caution about Lee Cole....his flight license has been revoked in the past...do a google search and you'll find all the gov't documents explaining the circumstances. I flew with him 10 years ago to a small lake near Chapleau. I was not impressed with the accomoodations. We were the first party to fly in to that lake that year (late May), and he hadn't even been to the cabin to check on anything. As it turns out, the dock had broken away from ice so the plane had a heck of a time landing and we had to wade in the water to get everything to the shore. To make matters worse, the fridge had crapped out and it was extremely difficult trying to save over $ 250 of groceries. He didn't so much as offer any discount which really ticked us off.

The fishing was good.....but all the lakes up there are. I'd do some serious research before booking with him

Caveot Emptor

Thanks for the info.....I have done some research and haven't found anything on his camps....I did find that he has been suspended a couple times but made sure it was not for safety reasons....I will continue to look at other spots because of your advise.....like you said, Buyer Beware!

thanks again!

Chrispy!

Now some one will think I work for Lee or something . As someone who goes on at least 2 fly ins a year , one spring one fall , for the last 35 or so years I have gone on over 100 of these trips . I have had GREAT , good and bad , and some REAL BAD . Flew with a guy out of Chapleau when Lee didnt have what we wanted that week , should have known better when his outfit was called Derry Air (yes he was a french guy too ) Landed on the wrong lake and than could not ,after trying too hop the plane off the water a few times , take off again with us in the plane , left us out on a rock and said he would unload the gear and come back to get us .As he was flying out of site it occured to me if he couldnt find the RIGHT LAKE hows he gonna come back to the wrong lake to get us and than it started to snow . Spent a long three hours on a rock on the wrong lake with no gear in the snow hopeing this dumb Ass was gonna come back , NEVER WENT WITH HIM AGAIN , We have had leaking boats ,motors that would pull your arm out of the scoket before they would start , cabins with no fire wood or worse NO FISH. Lee looks like the COL as I said so solo paddlers right the guy is OUT THERE FOR SURE . But as I said for the price (1/2 of what we pay in the fall if I r for trophy lakers farther north and at least 150 dollars less than most guys running small operations )WIth Lee we got a bare bones opperation (you get what you pay for) BUT the boats didnt leak ( a real problem with these cheaper outfits ,the motors started with a few pulls and the plywood cabins kept the wind off us , lots of wood for the stove and the fishing was great as in over a hundred walleyes per guy and just as many pike caught and released for the week . Just like he promised and real important THE PLANE WAS SAFE and he allways brought us back .. Woulnt TAKE the wife too one of his lakes but for a group of guys for a week as Good as any in this price range and better than some .

Thanks again Guys!!! I just spoke to Lee today....he is sending me off pictures of the place and more info....he now offers an American Plan which is right in line with some outfitters....when I called and told him who I was he asked me right away how my Dad was (Dad has had many operations on his back and neck)...I told him this when I first met him because I was worried that there would be too much walking for him and that the beds were good....Lee remembered that.....I have to agree he is a character and a huckster (one of my favorite words!! LOL!!!) but if he does what he has promised Dad and I are going to have the time of our lives.....

Thanks again for the info!!

Chrispy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, my name is Bob, im from a small town outside of Buffalo NY. I went with a group of guys through Lee Cole to lake ridley and lake Wennebegon for 4 yeras in a row. Lees camps were more than sufficient for our group. I cant say that they were real nice but my friends and i were more than satisfied. Like one of the other guys said the docks were crap but the fishing was outstanding. If your looking 4 a good deal and a good pilot i would deffinetly consider booking a trip through Lee. If you would like to ask me anything about the trips respond back. If you would like id even be willing to give you my phone number since i dont know much about computers. Whatever you decide good luck ! To me and my friends it was a chance of a lifetime and we cant wait to go again. Maybe it was the eagles or bears or moose that we saw that got us hooked. P.S. hes got some special lakes for his return customers.

Thanks Bob!!! I really appreciate you chiming in on this....I have spoken to Lee a few times now and I am going to book with him in two weeks at the London Fishing show....I am going to be working at the show for Wally's Bait Shop and will have a chance to talk to him in length about the trip....we are going to be staying at the lodge because we are going with the full American/Canadian plan and will have a chance to fly in a couple times in the week to some of Lee's honey holes....we can also add more fly in days at a good price....My Dad and I are really excited and need this trip....we have just lost my step Mom and his wife to cancer and this trip is something that Josie would have loved for us to do together.....

Thanks again Bob!

Chrispy!

Lee Cole is a walking caricature. I've never met a bigger huckster at any of the sports shows

I've been to.

That about sums up Lee....only thing I would add is Lost in the 60's

Edited by Garyv

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share my experiences using Lee. I've used his services to Rice Lake (95% pike 5% walleye), Cree (95% walleye 5% pike), Winebegan (walleye, pike, perch, whitefish). Took the wife, kids & dog to Cree and had the time of our life on our own island. That was 15 or so years ago. Unfortunately, people found their way by land to Cree and I hear that the fishing is not as good as it once was. Have been to Rondo Bay on Winebegan at least 5 times and always had a good time.

On all of my trips we were flown at least one direction by a pilot named Dave. We once watched him hold the plane in strong winds by a rope with one hand, while he rolled a cigarette with the other. Always a sore point with my wife.....we used our gas cans as seats during some flights and the pilots would smoke during the flight.

Anyway, the last time that we went with Lee I was looking around for Dave while we were waiting to be flown out from the base camp but I didn't see him. I did notice a different color plane tied up at the dock but didn't think much of it. When it came my turn at the desk, I asked if Dave was still working with them. The lady waiting on me (might have been Mrs. Cole) had tears well up in her eyes and she said "Dave is no longer with us" before she disappeared behind a wall. Uh, oh...new plane, and Dave is no longer with us. We put 2 and 2 together as best we could and assumed that he had gone down, but did not get the story until Lee flew us back out a week later.

Dave had only been buried a week or two before I inquired about him. He crash landed at the base camp lake with 3 men from Fraser, Michigan. Dave hit his head and drowned. The others survived. It was then that I decided risking my wife and children's lives was not worth the 20 or so walleye that we brought home each trip. We have one of the best fisheries in the world right in our back yard. So, I bought an 18 foot Starcraft and we have actually caught larger fish from that boat in Huron, St. Clair and Erie than any fish caught on one of Lee's trips. I DO miss the week-long trips with Lee, but not the risk, expense, etc.

Shaver..... was a sad day when Dave dunked the plane (and I've read the entire non-public accident report)... but you have a bigger chance of drowning on Lake Erie in your boat.. than ever having it happen to you while being flown into a back lake... so don't let a rare occurance stop you from doing something you thoroughly enjoy.

• 11 months later...

Hello!

Does anyone know what Lee's doing now? or better yet, does anyone have any information on the aircraft he flew?

I'm trying to find a particular beaver, with the registration C-FOCT. Apparently according to http://www.dhc-2.com/id316.htm it flies for 'Chapleau Air Service' and I was directed to this site.

Anyone who can provide any information would be of help =D

Still shown as owned by Chapleau Air... since 1975 I might add.

Mark: C-FOCT

Common Name: Dehavilland Model Name: DHC-2 MK. I

Serial No: 59

Basis for Eligibility for Registration: Type Certificate - CAR Standard 507.02 (1), 507.03 (3) - A22

Category: Aeroplane Max take-off weight: 2309 kgs

Engine: 1, Piston

24-bit address: 110000000010010101000000

Regional Office: Toronto

Base of Operations: CANADA , Ontario, Sault Ste Marie

Manufacturer Information

Manufacturer: The De Havilland Aircraft Of Canada, Limited

Country of manufacture: CANADA Year of Manufacture: 1949

Registration Information

Type of Registration: Commercial

Owner Registered Since: 1975-05-12

Latest Certificate of Registration Issued: 1975-05-12

Last Registered Owner Information

Name: Chapleau Air Services Limited

Address: Box 1090

City: Chapleau Province/State: Ontario

Postal Code: P0M 1K0 Country: CANADA

Region: Ontario

Mail Recipient: Yes

If you are going to the Chapleau area you REALLY should look into Air Ivanhoe Lodge. My wife and I did this in July '08. We flew into a all American Lodge on Nemegosenda Lake. This may be just what you are looking for. It includes hot and cold running water, flush toilets and electricity not to mention 3 BIG meals a day. They even have a dock boy to take care of your catch in you don't care to clean all them fish. Even a fish finder (Eagle Graph) is in every boat. Fresh minnow and worms are also included.

I can HIGHLY recommend this Lodge and working with the owners George & Jeanne Theriault.

They have MANY different set ups from outpost to river only access cottages to American plan by drive in or fly in access. Also MANY different Fly In outpost in various lakes. You will get dizzy trying to make your choice.

Here's their website.............http://www.airivanhoe.com/

If you have any questions PM me.

Bob

From what the pilot told me that was the plane we flew in 3 times last spring.....he had just put in a new engine last year.....so I am figuring that will be the plane that will be at his lodge in June.....I am not sure who is going to be flying it, Mike is going to work for another lodge up in Ear Falls.....it's too bad, Lee seems to be slowing down the business.....My Dad and I had a great time with Lee and Mike last spring and would go back in a heart beat!!!!

Chrispy!

• 7 months later...

i had the chance to fly in with Lee about 15 years ago.when we got to the office we were making small talk.he asked me what kind of work i did

and told him i was a painter.he took his glasses off,looked at me and said ''do you know how long i've been waiting for a painter to come through here?''i thought he was kidding.he took me outside and asked me how long it would take to paint a cabin.thats how i met lee cole.

i helped build a new dock at rondo bay.the best fishing is on the main lake;4-8lb walleye 5-10lbpike........

Just wanted to share my experiences using Lee. I've used his services to Rice Lake (95% pike 5% walleye), Cree (95% walleye 5% pike), Winebegan (walleye, pike, perch, whitefish). Took the wife, kids & dog to Cree and had the time of our life on our own island. That was 15 or so years ago. Unfortunately, people found their way by land to Cree and I hear that the fishing is not as good as it once was. Have been to Rondo Bay on Winebegan at least 5 times and always had a good time.

On all of my trips we were flown at least one direction by a pilot named Dave. We once watched him hold the plane in strong winds by a rope with one hand, while he rolled a cigarette with the other. Always a sore point with my wife.....we used our gas cans as seats during some flights and the pilots would smoke during the flight.

Anyway, the last time that we went with Lee I was looking around for Dave while we were waiting to be flown out from the base camp but I didn't see him. I did notice a different color plane tied up at the dock but didn't think much of it. When it came my turn at the desk, I asked if Dave was still working with them. The lady waiting on me (might have been Mrs. Cole) had tears well up in her eyes and she said "Dave is no longer with us" before she disappeared behind a wall. Uh, oh...new plane, and Dave is no longer with us. We put 2 and 2 together as best we could and assumed that he had gone down, but did not get the story until Lee flew us back out a week later.

Dave had only been buried a week or two before I inquired about him. He crash landed at the base camp lake with 3 men from Fraser, Michigan. Dave hit his head and drowned. The others survived. It was then that I decided risking my wife and children's lives was not worth the 20 or so walleye that we brought home each trip. We have one of the best fisheries in the world right in our back yard. So, I bought an 18 foot Starcraft and we have actually caught larger fish from that boat in Huron, St. Clair and Erie than any fish caught on one of Lee's trips. I DO miss the week-long trips with Lee, but not the risk, expense, etc.

• 7 years later...

Inquires regarding Lee Cole and Sunset View Camps & Chapleau Air Service:

Sunset View Camp is family owned and operated, though it has not fully operated since about 2008. The camp is currently not open to the public as it is undergoing repairs and upgrades.

As a family we understand the current state of the camp and offer apologies to any guests who have visited the camp(s) with disappointment. We sincerely apologize for any issue you've had with the camp or employees.

There will be no response to any correspondence about the camp regarding fishing trips, flying, hunting, etc. as we work through this transition with family.

The camp and any remaining outposts are private property and trespassing will not be tolerated. The camp and it's assets are not for sale.

• 2 weeks later...