Lake Superior

danc

I took the short drive from home to a local park on the shores of Superior this afternoon. It was a very dark, gloomy day, which I thought would be good for a few HDR shots. The HDR effect made the snow look dirty, but it wasn't. Here's what I got.

Chip1.jpg

Chip3.jpg

Chip2.jpg

And I brought Abby along with me. She had a riot running around out there. She's a tired girl tonight.

Abers.jpg

Another nice pooch shot, I still want to paint them in the water. :)

I LOVE the first shot and I can't figure out why, exept the sense of a journey (directing the eye) through the photo. I SHOULD like the third one more, if I went by my composition rules, but the higher contrast in the first one and larger section of water to the left just intrigues me.

GREAT WORK!

Pam

Thanks Pam and everyone else for the comments. The first shot was taken in black and white. Perhaps that's why it stands out. I liked it too. I'm heading out this afternoon with the cameras. We have a nice fresh blanket of snow to work with. Should be fun.

I sure like that HDR effect. I haven't had time to play with it myself yet, but will try it soon. Since I don't have any experience with it, I have doing some reading. For the above shots Dan, did you use a tripod for the sequence of three shots OR one hand held RAW shot?

My favourite is the B&W first shot. Great work!!!

Alan

I sure like that HDR effect. I haven't had time to play with it myself yet, but will try it soon. Since I don't have any experience with it, I have doing some reading. For the above shots Dan, did you use a tripod for the sequence of three shots OR one hand held RAW shot?

My favourite is the B&W first shot. Great work!!!

Alan

Al, I had a terrible day when I went out to take these shots. I brought two cameras with me. One takes better overall pictures and the other has way more zoom. I tried to cover all bases. I started with the "better picture" camera. I took a bunch of bracketed shots. I got some decent ones I thought, and then switched to the high zoom camera. Again I took a bunch of bracketed shots, or so I thought. I do use a tripod and my cameras bracketing feature and timer for these. OK. So I set up for the shot and I hear my camera firing of 5 shots at a time. Cool. I thought that my camera only did 3 brackets at once. I'll take advantage of this. So I keep shooting and shooting. As it turns out I had my camera set to continuous shot, rather than bracket mode. When I set the camera to continuous rather than bracket, it takes 5 shots with the exact same exposure value with the self timer. Not exactly what I was attempting to do. Then, when I get home I have a look at the shots from my "better picture" camera. I had forgot that I had set it to 640x480 mode a few days earlier. So I had a bunch of low res shots from that camera. Basically I screwed up the shots from both cameras. But I did the HDR conversion with the 5 continuous shots and was quite pleased with the results. I think that they could have been better if I was shooting with the 3 brackets. Anyways, to answer your question, I use a tripod and use my cameras bracket feature to capture my HDR shots. One of my cameras does shoot RAW, but I've never tried HDR with the RAW method. Regarding the dslr that you are considering buying, I noticed that it doesn't have a bracket feature. That would be a big turnoff for me. I haven't used bracketing since I've started into digital photography, until I've discovered HDR. But I'm not sure that I could do without it now.