Panasonic NI-MH R2 Batteries

Tdel

My NI-MH batteries for my Canon camera (SI S2) died on me and I went looking for replacements around August/07. I saw these Panasonic NI-MH R2 Batteries at Future Store which had great reviews but seemed a little expensive to me. I liked the fact that Panosonic stated these batteries (after the initial charge) would not have to be charged before using the camera only after and would hold their charge when in storage for about 6 months. In other words charge after use not before.

In fact it stated that you could use the batteries right after opening the package or top them up with a re-charge.

I don't always believe what I read but decided to buy them and give them a try. I was tired of seeing a "Kodak Moment"and grabbing the camera to take a couple of shots only to find out that the batteries were dead. When I bought these R2 batteries and got them home I charged them up. I haven't re-charged the batteries since that initial charge. I didn't use my camera a lot from that time but I did use it. I pulled my camera out yesterday and put the batteries in and guess what, they were still charged up. Wow!! I can't believe they went this long without a re-charge.

If I had used the regular NI- MH batteries in my camera I know they would have been definitely dead and in need of a re-charge.

I thought I would pass this along in case anyone else was considering buying these batteries. I think they are great.

Tom

Some good advice Tom. I've not heard of these things. I'm kind of a battery charging freak though. I probably own about 12 to 15 pairs of NIHM's. I use them for everything from cameras to flashlights to my toothbrush, so I've always got a few in the charger at all times. In fact, I've got 6 charging as I type.

Hi Dan,

I don't get out as often as I would like to take pictures. A lot of times I would plan to go out and charge the batteries for the camera, then the weather would turn bad or something else would come up to prevent me from going. It felt like I was wasting the batteries by charging, not using, then having them drain.

With these R2 batteries it looks like this "problem" has been solved for me. No more missed kodak moments. No more charging, draining and re-charging.

Tom

• 6 months later...

Hello TomD:

Thank you for your information on the use of NiMH R2 batteries. As all of us - yes we always have some batteries on the charger ready to go. But, it is great to hear that the claims by Panasonic about long time storability - 6 months with only 20% capacity loss - are actually correct.

We have 4 pretty active cameras in the family - 2 full-sized digitals and two small ones. My wife is the real photographer in the team - I am only capable of the "yes, I was there" pictures (I also take technical pictures on boats - Boat Electrics is my business). Unfortunately, in time even the very good standard NiMH batteries are found in the charger with greatly reduced capacity - take three to four pictures and the camera says: 'not enough for me, bye!'. So the R2s will solve that problem for us!

Again, thank you for your input.

dielan123

Your welcome dielan123,

First of all I would like to welcome you to OFC.

After I saw your post I thought I would reply to you and give an update on the Panasonic NI-MH R2 batteries.

I still think they are great!!! and worth the money I spent. I don't have any more lost "Kodak moments".

Since my last post on this thread in Dec/07, I pulled the camera out in Feb 08 and took a few winter shots and put it away again without charging it. I checked the batteries in May and took a few shots with no indication of low battery charge. Finally in June I pulled the camera out and put the batteries in to check the charge and they were dead. Almost 9 months without charging them. WOW! I have never had batteries last more than 2 or three weeks without a charge whether I take pictures or not. I have re-charged them for the second time in June/08.

I went to a bbq get together yesterday for my brother in laws birthday and took about 25 pictures. Now to see how long the charge last this time.

Tom.

The Source also carries them and they are cheaper at the Source (to my surprise) than Future Shop. We don't have a Future shop here except in Sudbury but the Source price was 14.99 for a pack of 2 and 24.99 for a pack of 4. Future shop price on line was 18.99 for 2.

Sanyo has a similar product called Eneloop that's been on the market for 2-3 years. So some of you might be able to find these for less.

They also come precharged om the package and claim to hold a good charge for over a year. Mine are okay, i think they're 2000 mAh which is enough for the gps and digital camera. i don't know about lasting a year in the drawer because they've never sat that long.

Hi to all the 'R2" respondents:

Thanks for all the inputs, that is really good news.

One more question: does anybody know if these batteries require their own type of charger - I know that they are available in a pre-pack with a charger - or can one use a charger that is used for 'regular' NiMH batteries. By now I have several laying around and perhaps I do not need to buy one that comes with the pack.

Please advise what you have found out.

Greetings,

Dielan123

• 6 months later...

Thank you for the info on the R2 Panasonic batteries. I am a bit hesitant with batteries. About a year ago I bought quick charge Panasonic batteries from Henrys. Cost was around 50 bucks with a charger but a small bag to hold spare batteries came for free. The batteries never held their charge. The most number of PICS I ever got was 2.

I took a look for batteries on Henrys web site and this is what I found.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...p;storeId=10001

Are these the batteries you guys are talking about? With a $20 off and at a cost of $39.99, it might be the time to buy a set.

I received an eNewsletter from Henrys and these batteries might be at $30.00 off because of the “Lucky Monday Lunchtime Deals”, valid online at www.henrys.com only from 11:00 AM E.S.T until 3:00 PM E.S.T. on Mondays only.

What determines if a charge is a quick charge or not – batteries or charger? If I buy a package that is a quick charge package, can I use a standard charger with these batteries? I think that it is the charger that determines the charge times.

I guess what I am asking is – can batteries be charged with a standard charger or with a quick charge charger.

Thank you – carp-starter

As long as they say R2 technology then they are the ones. I use a regular charger and have had no problem so far and still think these batteries are great. I am not sure about the quick charge so I can't help you there. I guess you can't go wrong if you buy the R2 batteries and charger package.

These batteries sure fulfilled my needs.

Tom

Thank you TomD.

I believe that they are the same -

PANASONIC BQ390 NIMH CHGR 4/AA-R2TECHN

I will get another pack because $20.00 off the regular price of $59.99 sounds good.

But I will wait till Monday and check the eNewsletter (e-mail) at 11am to find out which Panasonic (with charger) set of batteries are being offered at $30.00 off the regular price.

If they are the same batteries, then the price will be $29.99 (10 more dollars off). But I would have to wait till Monday at 11.00am to find out.

If anyone wants a copy of that eNewsletter from Henrys, PM me and give me an e-mail address so that I could send to you the complete e-mail. 50% off is not bad on a set of Panasonic batteries and a charger.

carp-starter - thank you

If you live in a city with a canada computers location, they have Sanyo eneloops on sale now. they are the same type of rechargable battery that come precharged in the package and holds a charge when not on the charger.

$29 for 4D, 4C, 4AA, 2AAA, plus charger

14 batteries total, fairly high mAh output.