No ice fishing Valens 2007

FISHINGNUT

Just came across this while on the GRCA site not sure if its been posted but here it is.I think its a good idea the lake needs a break for a season

Valens Fishery Management Plan - Ice Fishing Closure

December 1, 2007

Valens Conservation Area will close its winter fishing season beginning December 1. This will mean ice fishing will no longer be permitted, with the exception of a catch-and-release ice fishing derby to be held in February 2008. The fishery will open for summer anglers from the last Saturday in June until the last Saturday in November.

Valens has been designated a Provincial Fish Sanctuary in the spring for more than 30 years. In 2008, this status will be removed. However, to continue to protect breeding pike and bass, the reservoir will remain closed for fishing in the spring. The spring closure also allows panfish a chance to repopulate. Panfish are not only important on their own as game fish to anglers, but a viable panfish population is important to the ecology of the lake and the success of the bass and pike populations.

Fishing in the Valens Lake has always been a strong attraction for visitors. The fishery has consisted of a summer fishery for bass, pike and panfish from the end of June until the end of November and ice fishing for pike and panfish from December 1 to March 31 (as ice conditions allowed). Ice fishing grew in popularity very quickly at Valens since it began in 2000. Initially anglers had tremendous success, but staff noticed a quick decline in the abundance and size of fish being caught during the winter. For example, during last year’s ice fishing derby a total of just more than 100 Bluegill were caught by more than 100 anglers. In previous years this could have been the number caught by just one angler in a day.

The closure of the winter and spring fishing seasons at Valens will help to relieve fishing pressures on the fish community and to allow the reservoir to maintain a self-sustaining fishery. The status of the fish stocks will be measured as time passes to determine three things: how and when the winter fishery can be reopened; whether the spring fishery can be opened; and the success of the catch and release program. HCA staff expect that with a reduction of the fishing pressure, fish populations in the lake should be able to rebound in a short time. HCA will also educate and encourage anglers to practice catch and release fishing during the open season. Future Voluntary Trial Harvest Limits will also be posted for the different fish species to ensure healthy fish stocks.

For additional information on the Valens fishery plan, please contact Gordon R. Costie, Superintendent, Valens Conservation Area at 905-525-2183, ext. 22 or email [email protected].

i'm all for the closure of the panfish winter season, let numbers rebound to a healthy , sustainable population . 14 yrs at valens and i have never had better numbers or size than the last two seasons just passed for pike . i'm at a loss to see the pike season closed . open the pike ,take the feeding pressure of the panfish , regulate pike keep numbers . win / win no?

forgot to mention that i spoke , in great length ,with the valens park superintendent about the closure and how long she may remain closed .a sentence of 3 to 5 yrs . solitairy. my best two years on the lake , then rug from under my feet . i don't get it .anyone got something for me in the way of explanation or ideas ?

Too many big white buckets and mesh bags hanging off the sides if boats.

In my opinion it should be shut down completely for 2 years and give the entire lake a chance to revive itself. Others disagree but that is just my opinion. Back in the 70's when I was in my teens it was a great bass lake.

Too many big white buckets and mesh bags hanging off the sides if boats.

I couldnt agree with you more .The lake definatley needs a break .But when it does reopen they should reduce the limits and keep a better eye on what people take out.The only problem I see is its going to put more pressure on other bodies of water that may not be able to rebound with the extra pressure put on them because Valens is closed.