Scotch Connoisseurs?

Landlocked

I'm currently into a bottle of SCAPA. This single malt is by far one of the smoothest and best tasting scotches I have come across in some time. It has a likeness to maybe Oban or Aberlour. I think it's about $65 a bottle. Any scotch lover will appreciate this bottle.

Another few I like could be Oban $90, Lagavulin $90, Glenmorangie $?, Longmorn $? and Aberlour $45.

Guest lundboy
The McCallen 12 year old is one of the finest in the < $100 range. If your pockets are deeper, grab an 18 year old bottle.

The Macallen 12 (or 18)... This be the one!!!

Oban, Lagavulin also great!

I'll have to try Scapa... sounds interesting.

I have a bottle of Glenturret 15 from a trip to Scotland in 94 that I'm saving to open for something special. It might be a collectors item now that the distillery was taken over by Famous Grouse and is no longer labeled Glenturret.

BTW Glenfiddich (12) is good for stripping paint, or degreaser don't know about 15 or 18, I couldn't part with the money on 15 or 18 knowing how good others are for the same bucks.

Edited by lundboy

Well Im partial to the Rum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SCREECH :clapping:

I do dabble/dribble/sip.swallow, this.Just add ice.

glenfiddich

PLEASE DO NOT MIX WITH SODAS. That is so WRONG.

Yup,

Dats my choice too.

Can't go wrong with a name like "Glenfiddich" that already sounds like you're slurring speech before a drop has touched your lips!

:clapping::stretcher::stretcher::asshat::asshat::blahblah1::blahblah1::sleeping_02::sleeping_02:

Edited by SNAG

LOL .. Since the wife hasn't been around all week and we have folks coming over tomorrow...I went to the liquor store for the first time in 10 years to stock our cupboard for Christmas visitors. When I got home I said to my son "and people complain about the cost of gas..when Rum and Rye is $35 a litre with less refining necessary!" $52 a bottle... what ever happened to buck a bottle get ya by wine? :D

Edited by irishfield

12yr Delwinnie. 12yr Highland Park. 8=12yr Belvinnie single cask... Yep Glenfiddich is garbage.

And if you are going to mix it Teachers is good enough for you... lol

l would start talking about the 16-18-20 and the 25yr old stuff but l cant afford it so no point in teasing...

Since someone did mention Irish Whiskeys,v Glenlivet 18yr... Bushmills 16 yr... and my favorite 12yr Red Breast

Peace Ken

Edited by Bowshep

Dont buy in Ontario right now. With the dollar as high as it is cross into the states and make your purchases there.

A Lagavulin can push $100 in Ontario and be $60 in NY.

If you are looking for a good inexpensive starter type, I like Aberlore or Delviny. But for the quality go for Oban or Lagavulin.

Enjoy the hobby, Scotch tasting is a wonderful way to while away a few years of nice evenings.

Just my opinion but I contend different single malt scotches vary greatly in taste. I don't believe anyone would compare Lagavulin to Macallan. Consequently, if you're really interested in your father-in-law enjoying a bottle of scotch, ask him for his preferences. That way, you can be assured that he'll enjoy your thoughtfulness.

I'm not a connoisseur like some here, but I enjoy a little Scotch. One thing I can tell you is that you can't pick a Scotch solely by its name. They can be very different. Personally, I like the mellow tasting Scotches (this is where I show my lack of Scotch knowledge). For me the general rule is the lighter the better. The dark coloured Scotches have too much bite for my liking. Currently, I have a bottle of single malt 12 year old Glen Livet in my cupboard. Its not too expensive, but good just the same. I have not had anything by Johnny Walker or Glen Fiddich, yet, that I liked. Of course, I've only sampled fewer than a dozen different single malts.

Scotch is distilled in regions and is quite different from region to region. My personal favourites are Islay whiskeys, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich, Bowmore. They are an aquired taste and are quite "peaty", "smokey" and some have a mild iodine aftertaste. Bowmore is probably the best value starting in the $50's but Lagavulin is my personal choice. As a bottle will last me a month, I don't mind the $90+.

Highland and Lowland malts are a little more mainstream. The Grant distillery in Speyside produces some nice whiskeys, Balvenie is one of the best in my opinion. Again from $50ish per bottle for bog standard 12 year old to $150 for an amazing 21 year old Portwood.

Grab a book or two from the library as a good start.

By the way Ken, there are no garbage malts, just some are more average than the others.

John..

I'm currently into a bottle of SCAPA. This single malt is by far one of the smoothest and best tasting scotches I have come across in some time. It has a likeness to maybe Oban or Aberlour. I think it's about $65 a bottle. Any scotch lover will appreciate this bottle.

Another few I like could be Oban $90, Lagavulin $90, Glenmorangie $?, Longmorn $? and Aberlour $45.

Oban is now $100. I just picked some up. I've tried to appreciate single malts but for the life of me I can't honestly say that I've found one I like better than Famous Grouse. It is far and away the nicest blended I've found.

JF

10 year old Ardbeg......I know its only 10 years but you will not be disappointed.

If you had $11K to blow I know where you can get a bottle of 40 yr old Bowmore..... :lol:

And although its not Scotch..... The Bheag (pronounced Chay Veck) is quite nice too

All of the above mentioned too.....hard to go wrong if you dont mind spending $60-$100

Laphroaig, or Isle of Jura

Both are nice and affordable(although not mainstream) single Malts.

But if I were you....I'd find out if he likes a Peaty scotch or malty scotch guy.

If he's a connoisseur he's have a distinct type he likes.

Scotches tend to lean to one side or the other.

(A Peaty scotch has an almost anise like quality, with a mouth feel that slightly numbing, while a Malty scotch is generally lighter in flavour with a sweeter finish)

Laphroaig is heavily weighted to the peaty side, while Isle of Jura is definitely a Malty Scotch.