Couch Report

crappieperchhunter

Walked on the ice at Airport Rd and had a line in the water by 8AM. Stayed until 2PM and culled through about 60 perch to get 13 keepers between 10-11.5 inches. All on jigging raps and bugs.A solid 4-5 inches of black ice with an extra inch or so of white ice on top of that. Just a skiff of snow on top...perfect for walking.

A group of 4 was the only company I had out there. I chatted with them on the way in. They appeared to be having the same luck I had. Sure was good to be on the hardwater again...and fresh fish for supper tomorrow night.

Play safe if you get out.

• 13 years later...
11 hours ago, BillM said:

How many guys are going to head to Couch now lol

LOL. Happened to me last year Bill. Ice was getting close and someone on another board posted a picture of their group walking out of Tudhope Park.  Called my buddy and we went up the next day. There was ice alright....maybe enough for a seagull to stand on without going through😠  Obviously the picture was not taken that week. Not a total loss though as we fished  2 other spots on the way back to Oshawa and ended up with a small feed of perch and crappie.

To be clear I'm not trying to make someone waste there time for a trip up. I was just posting to show how late the ice is this year compared to what it was in 2007.

• Like 2

I can't remember when it was, I'm thinking late 80's... but I fished through the ice on Couch once in November. I think that same winter the Great Lakes either froze over or they had the most ice that had ever been recorded on them. I just remember at the end of the season it was brutal drilling through all the ice because of the loooonnnggg cold winter.. Man it was thick.

2 hours ago, crappieperchhunter said:

I can't remember when it was, I'm thinking late 80's... but I fished through the ice on Couch once in November. I think that same winter the Great Lakes either froze over or they had the most ice that had ever been recorded on them. I just remember at the end of the season it was brutal drilling through all the ice because of the loooonnnggg cold winter.. Man it was thick.

Yes,  I can remember cranking the old hand auger until the folding point was even with the ice,  even as young as I was then it was a long crank.

Earliest I ever ice fished was 19 November, I forget the year but probably 1979.  It was a foothills lake near Pincher Creek Alberta, probably four inches of completely clear ice, played with your head as you could see VERY clearly all the way to the bottom.  Trout were willing to hit an offering, and it was very magical.

Fisherman, you may have been there, I do not recall.  Roy E. went through the ice walking towards shore and I rescued him, Big Doug M grabbed my feet and pulled Roy and me away from the hole........

On 12/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, crappieperchhunter said:

To be clear I'm not trying to make someone waste there time for a trip up. I was just posting to show how late the ice is this year compared to what it was in 2007.

That never even crossed my mind.  Crazy how the years can be so much different.  Wait until the water levels drop in Gbay, people will think the world is ending (again, lol)

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

Earliest I ever ice fished was 19 November, I forget the year but probably 1979.  It was a foothills lake near Pincher Creek Alberta, probably four inches of completely clear ice, played with your head as you could see VERY clearly all the way to the bottom.  Trout were willing to hit an offering, and it was very magical.

Fisherman, you may have been there, I do not recall.  Roy E. went through the ice walking towards shore and I rescued him, Big Doug M grabbed my feet and pulled Roy and me away from the hole........

Hahahaha, not Doug Measor.