Nov 24 Bay of Quinte report, another new PB

Badger Shark

Well where to start? Eric and I had planned on meeting up with Bender and TroutMuskieHunter for 6am at the launch in Picton but things did not work out according to plan. We got to the storage area where I keep my boat and truck and had to dig them out which we expected. It was not that bad, then removing the ball lock and the pin lock was a different story, both had frozen. We ended up finally after about 45min of messing around headed to a gas station to get lock de-icer. It took a while but we finally got them off and headed out, time,6am. 3hrs after we started.

As we head out the temp says -18 at one point, temp at Picton harbour -2 thankfully. Like Bender said the entrance to the harbour was iced. There was quite the line up to launch but we finally got out at around 9:30 .

It was also snowing.

We headed to Shermans and Thompsons, got set up and after about 45 mins or so, first fish on. Turned out to be a new PB for me and the biggest fish of the day at 13.3lbs, length just over 32 inches and a fat gut on her.

Eric was next and turns out he caught the next 3 fish, first fish was his biggest at around 10lbs.

After a while the wind got up and we decided to shoot over just the other side of the ferry to the south shore out of the wind to have a look around. There were about 10 boats there and it turns out they were just washing lures as we marked only a few fish and they were very deep. We even shot up to almost the light house and looked around in a zig zag across to each shore and marked very little. We then decided to head back and around the cement plant and still marked very little. It was decided we would head back to where we started and glad we did. We figure we lost about an hour and a half looking around but oh well thats how you learn.

We set up and got the last four fish of the day in roughly in an hours time.

If we had not left I figure we would have got several more. Eric did lose a big girl with about 60ft to go. So all in all a great day with 8 hook-ups and 7 in the boat. The last three fish would have made a nice snack by the way since they were little guys especially my last one.

Hope the pics work and cant wait till this weekend if we can get out.

snowy_boat.JPG

New_pb_eye_of_13.3lbs.JPG

big_mouth.JPG

Eric_19lb_1st_fish.JPG

Eric_2nd_of_the_day.JPG

Eric_3rd_fish_of_the_day.JPG

Eric_4th_and_last.JPG

My_2nd_of_the_day.JPG

my_3rd_and_last__little_guy.JPG

Hope the pics work. Sorry it took a couple of days to get this report done

Don

WOW.....CONGRATS DON ON YOUR NEW PB !!!!!! :clapping::whistling::w00t: right on bud,you guys did real well,too bad i wasnt out ...oh well i had to do a family day...i think im comming down next weekend for my last fish of the year in the boat,glad you got some big quinte hogs man,the pics are great too B):D ,it looks like thompsons is doing better than east of the ferry lately,lots of big fish being taken there....thanks for the report bud call me later in the week....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Shawn I will be there this Sunday unless the conditions are beyond ridiculous. And yes it appears there are more fish in the Thompsons and Shermans area but you have to figure out what they want because there were others there and they were doing different things than we were and catching less. Experiment until something works thenstick with it for a while, then try something else. What we noticed was the people on the other side of the ferry were just running back and forth over the same water, when we went there we checked around and there were very few fish and the ones we marked were very deep.

I hope this Sunday is ok but I am thinking this just may be the last kick at the can the way the forcast is looking.

If it is I am pretty happy with this season.

Well thanks for the info don !!! and yes i think its comming to an end real quick,the forecast is just getting colder all the time...well i would like to get down there 1 more time,but i will wait a little closer to the weekend to decide,its the dang wind,and those dicy ramps,i hope the harbor stays clear of ice...all for those big quinte pigs eh????thanks don.talk to you real soon !!! shawn

Thanks Cliff, we have done well this year but it is because I have been learning tonnes of info and now know 100 times more than I did a year ago. I dont just go out and drop lures into the water, I head out and search and have learned how to spot the difference in feeding fish and fish that are just hanging out. One of the biggest reasons is the electronics I bought. We used to just head out and drop our lines and troll, not now. I dont waste time in water with little in the way of marks, I will search around until I can locate a school or at least frequent marks. So much to learn and keep learning. Then when you find em you have to figure out what they want if anything.

We are planning to give er one more go this Sunday but if it is to dangerous to tow the boat from hear we wont bother.

PB's are ALWAYS good things.

Good for you and good report.

There are a lot of fish ALL over the place according to the various reports, east of the ferry, cement plant, Picotn Bay, Thompsons-Shermans ALL over.

Lots of fishing left...........