to the real musky hunters

bassjnkie

Everyone keeps saying that! Do you really think there is a big windfall for catching a new record fish? If so how much do you think it is. Who's lures are you going to claim you caught it on, once you hide the real bait, to try and get an endorsement deal? Did Ken O'Brien make anything off his dead fish?

Ken Obrien didnt make anything off of his fish because he didnt care about it, and still does not care about it.

Everyone keeps saying that! Do you really think there is a big windfall for catching a new record fish? If so how much do you think it is. Who's lures are you going to claim you caught it on, once you hide the real bait, to try and get an endorsement deal? Did Ken O'Brien make anything off his dead fish?

I'm with you Irishfeild appartenly nobody read my post but you should read this article by a world record holder.

http://www.stripers247.com/Almcreynoldsrecordstriper.htm

Edited by ALEX

I'd only hope I catch the second biggest muskie. Then no one would give a crap.

When the day comes (and it will) and that world record is in my net... I'll make the call. If I keep it, I have a career that can take me anywhere... even Tuktoyaktuk or Peru... that way I can leave the muskie world behind and forever just keep posting from time to time at OFC with a pic of me and my big fish in the avatar. Muhahahahahaha jealous freaks. Muhahahahahaha.

If the fish were a true new world record then I would have it mounted. I’m sure there’s some good coin to be made with having caught the new world record fish. That money would do my family some good. If the fish were just a new record for that lake or state/province then I’d just get good measurements & pics & let’em go.

Gees Wayne, lots of negative vibes coming from you. One may or may not make monies from it. But having a world record muskie caught and kept would be a big thrill for one lucky angler( hope it's me :asshat: ) and having one's name entered into the history books would be awesome too.

Edited by Squid

Gees Wayne, lots of negative vibes coming from you. One may or may not make monies from it. But having a world record muskie caught and kept would be a big thrill for one lucky angler( hope it's me :asshat: ) and having one's name entered into the history books would be awesome too.

NO negatives Pete...just asking simple questions. Many seem to think they are going to get rich off it and the "thrill" seems to end there. I'm just asking what they really think they are going to get if they indeed tip the record weight scale and who's bait they are going to lie they caught it on...ie who do they think has the deepest pockets in the industry?

I've been browings thru Larry Ramsell's "history" of the Muskie, and if you haven't read it...you may think twice about wanting anything to do with claiming you caught a new record.

Terry has it right one way. Lie and get an endorsement deal. Another would be to write a book. Make appearences at fishing shows.Take THE ROD THAT HANDLED THE WR MUSKY!!! and put it on E-Bay...Take the LURE THAT CAUGHT THE WR MUSKY!!! and put it on E-Bay... And last but not least, there are companies that will make a replica free of charge which, in my world at least, amounts to ALOT of money for a fish that size.

So would I be able to quit my day job? Probably not, unless the catching of said wr Musky coincided with a big lottery win. But would catching the wr Musky put money in your pocket? Yes.

And no way would I let BPS put a fish like that in its tank. I've seen the Musky in there. They won't get the wr Smallie after I get that one, either :whistling:

Just to quiet down those Americans.

What's up with that?

In order for any fish to be an IGFA record nowadays, it must be killed, gutted, and the stomach contents examined... to make sure it didn't die from lead poisoning.

I personally would only kill a fish I was going to eat or was required to kill by law. It would be far more fun to photo and measure it, then let the masses wonder if you let a record swim away alive.

I may even talk a little trash about it in certain circles! ;)

Guest gbfisher

Im 6.1.... 220... :oops:

inlargephoto2.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Ken is 5.8 @ ??

BS3.jpg

bs2.jpg

ObrienBS.jpg

You be da judge........... :whistling:

I'd let it go and SAY NOTHING!!! :lol:

Edited by gbfisher

I don't get what either of you are trying to say. From what I understand there were some very reputable people on hand when that fish came in. Although I've read here at one point that there were some questions that arose from that catch. Anyone care to elaborate?

BTW, where did you get that pig, gb? Care to share the story?

Im 6.1.... 220... :oops:

Ken is 5.8 @ ??

You be da judge........... :whistling:

I'd let it go and SAY NOTHING!!! :lol:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say either. Obviously the fish in the photo was harvested. What were the stats on that beast?

I would have to say that if it truly is a World Record contender I would harvest it. There is nowadays too much controversy over "record" fish, even the current record held by Louis Spray. To prevent any detractors from saying otherwise it would have to be brought in to be verified by reliable sources, and not some Joe, at the Marina.

Edited by Poobah

Guest gbfisher
I'm not sure what you're trying to say either. Obviously the fish in the photo was harvested. What were the stats on that beast?

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Another 6" Rapala fish.

I didnt catch it. I held it because I wanted to know what a fish that size felt like. I doubt I will ever get one that big. I asked if I could measure it so I could see what a fish that size looked like. :blink::o

Hey Jigger,just look at the transformation of the fish,funny how the fish became squeeky clean and pot belllied.

Jigger,folks have been known to fib somewhat,then again some dont think a fib's a lie

Really I dont know,but I've seen enough fish to be somewhat be inquisitive of this transformation from the pics.

I guess my point is,65 pounds may not be the # to shoot for,maybe 62 pounds will do it

Either way,the world record harvest is a personal decision,wheter released or not,it will certainly fuel the message boards (hahahahahahaha)

Till then ,I"ll leave the chasing 60 pounders for others

Edited by marc thorpe

Photos can be "shoped" by just about anybody now. In the pre digital days this was harder (but still posible). With the right lens and the right positioning an image can be "distorted". Just take a look at the one guys fingers in the horizontal musky shot. Some people will always be there to nay-say, even if the fish is killed for varification. You might be better off in the long run to take photo or two, release the beast and leave it at that. They're both big fish that are not swimming anymore.