to the real musky hunters

bassjnkie

Killing for ego, personal gain, vanity or misplaced immortilization is pathetic.

There is no justicification for such an ignorant crime.

Harvest to eat, not to parade.

Regulations and legalities are Just a guideline.

Use your brain to determine the fate of another being in your hands.

Edited by SNAG

Wouldn't want to be even seen catching a carp, depending on the waterbody, wouldn't live release it either.

As for the heavyweight muskies...they have already spawned, IN THEIR PRIME, for many years. There isn't that much harm taking out a 'senior citizen' sub-par spawner with only1 -2 seasons left before becoming turtle food, add to that it being a record, personal or otherwise, and add to that its legal...

Guest gbfisher
Wouldn't want to be even seen catching a carp, depending on the waterbody, wouldn't live release it either.

As for the heavyweight muskies...they have already spawned, IN THEIR PRIME, for many years. There isn't that much harm taking out a 'senior citizen' sub-par spawner with only1 -2 seasons left before becoming turtle food, add to that it being a record, personal or otherwise, and add to that its legal...

i

You know it Kirk! The MNR and biologists know it ! :thumbsup_anim: Love peoples view on it. :blahblah1:

It may take others a life time to undertsand it though. It may never be understood by some. :sleeping_02::rolleyes:

:Gonefishing:

I can see the point of view from both sides. Perhaps I'm being wishy-washy but it will be a topic with no resolution. What is important with this is to respect each others point of view and do what you personally feel is right. No use in getting upset with others over it.

I can see the point of view from both sides. Perhaps I'm being wishy-washy but it will be a topic with no resolution. What is important with this is to respect each others point of view and do what you personally feel is right. No use in getting upset with others over it.

Like I said, everyone has thier own views on the subject. If I catch an ontario record fish, I am 50-50% to submit it. But if it is a world record, I will submit it 100%.

All I wanted to know was what people will do if they caught a world record musky, only because they are charished by all musky hunters. The post went sideways to all species, and that doesn't bother me because I also wanted to know "what if I caught a world record fish?" Looks like it's 70-30%.

Oh ya, wondering if this is the most viewed or longest post ever?

Thanx,

Daniel

OCH

Fishermen, musky or otherwise, are no different than anybody else, but some just need to be putting themselves in the limelight all the time, while others are happy to just go out fishing for the enjoyment of what it's all about.

Most of us will go out and have a great day on the water, catch a fish or two, and be happy with that, while others need to constantly try to prove to others how good they are and will stop at nothing to put themselves in front of the crowd whenever they get the opportunity.

Many fishermen would kill a trophy just for the recognition, accolades and pats on the back they think they'll receive, while many of us couldn't care less about back pats and would release it and be happy with ourselves for allowing it to live another day.

Some fishermen need to always be the center of attention.........many of us don't.

Fishermen, musky or otherwise, are no different than anybody else, but some just need to be putting themselves in the limelight all the time, while others are happy to just go out fishing for the enjoyment of what it's all about.

Most of us will go out and have a great day on the water, catch a fish or two, and be happy with that, while others need to constantly try to prove to others how good they are and will stop at nothing to put themselves in front of the crowd whenever they get the opportunity.

Many fishermen would kill a trophy just for the recognition, accolades and pats on the back they think they'll receive, while many of us couldn't care less about back pats and would release it and be happy with ourselves for allowing it to live another day.

Some fishermen need to always be the center of attention.........many of us don't.

Lew, this reply should really be a sticky. Right on!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Despite the fact that Ken O'Brien blundered into this amazing fish, the current Canadian record remains the best documented 60 pound class fish of all time. Not only was the fish witnessed by several, credible Muskies Canada members that know big fish (Shawn Mahar, Paul Gasperino, etc) and are still living today, the fish was weighed in the presence of an MNR Conservation Officer. As to whether the fish is 65, 64, 63 pounds... who cares... it's a giant!!

Attached you will find a couple of images that might help keep things in perspective. Sorry for the quality...

As for GB Fishers' catch... nice 45 to 48 pound class fish! Were there issues with the release that prevented you from releasing it or was it a choice you made? I may not agree with catch and keep practices but, given the fish was within the Ministry guidelines, it was well within your rights to keep it. Feel free to send me a pm if you dont want everyone to comment on your response....

Tight lines, y'all...

TITAN

(Mike Dalakis)

ken_002.jpg

ken_008.jpg

ontario_record_muskie3.jpg

Edited by titan

Guest gbfisher
Despite the fact that Ken O'Brien blundered into this amazing fish, the current Canadian record remains the best documented 60 pound class fish of all time. Not only was the fish witnessed by several, credible Muskies Canada members that know big fish (Shawn Mahar, Paul Gasperino, etc) and are still living today, the fish was weighed in the presence of an MNR Conservation Officer. As to whether the fish is 65, 64, 63 pounds... who cares... it's a giant!!

Attached you will find a couple of images that might help keep things in perspective. Sorry for the quality...

As for GB Fishers' catch... nice 45 to 48 pound class fish! Were there issues with the release that prevented you from releasing it or was it a choice you made? I may not agree with catch and keep practices but, given the fish was within the Ministry guidelines, it was well within your rights to keep it. Feel free to send me a pm if you dont want everyone to comment on your response....

Tight lines, y'all...

TITAN

(Mike Dalakis)

As I said. I did not catch it. A bass fisherman state side caught it with a 6" rapala. :rolleyes: I was just there when he brought it in. I still say it is BIGGER than Obrien's fish. 'In my opinion' but I know more about O'BRIEN'S fish than most do. :whistling:

The witnesses should be ashamed of themselves but they have ulterior motives to say the least.

I won't comment any further on this....One day everyone will know about the lies!! It may or may not come out. At this point, just catch one bigger than 61 lbs keep it or release it knowing you have caught a giant..... :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by gbfisher

Tight lines, y'all...

TITAN

(Mike Dalakis)

There goes the neighborhood...Welcome to OFC Mike.

Oh ya, wondering if this is the most viewed or longest post ever?

Thanx,

Daniel

OCH

No Dan, it's a good thread but this one is under 90 replies and we've had at least one that was over 500 replies. Views on this one is over 2800 and there are regularly threads with over 3000 views. This thread will surely break the 3000 views mark (if it doesn't go awry) but I wouldn't bet on it breaking the 500 reply mark. Some interesting points of view.

No Dan, it's a good thread but this one is under 90 replies and we've had at least one that was over 500 replies. Views on this one is over 2800 and there are regularly threads with over 3000 views. This thread will surely break the 3000 views mark (if it doesn't go awry) but I wouldn't bet on it breaking the 500 reply mark. Some interesting points of view.

What was the 500post about? Just curious.

Daniel

OCH

What was the 500post about? Just curious.

Daniel

OCH

I don't remember. It was several years ago but I think it had to do with whether or not someone would/should keep or release a WR muskie. The subject kinda crops up every 276 days or so.

Thats what it is a tale, its all about jelous fishermen never fails, I have herd of everything under the moon about this fish, filled with water, found on shore dead, also heard it was not caught in the moon river. All I know is that there where tons of guys on hand that witnessed this fish, so there all liars?? I dont understand why GB post a picture of a 45 lbs class fish, are you trying to say it was bigger then O'Briens??. How about the mount was that alterd too, man these guys are good LOL. Believe what you want O'briens fish is the queen.

I agree that the fish in gbs pic is longer. 58 in compared to O'Brians fish @ 56in (corrected from 58in with its throat slit.). It looks to me like the guys in gbs pic are hovering around 5ft, so a 58in fish is going to look much larger compared to O'Brian @ 68in (5'8") next to his fish. The girth on the O'Brian fish is phenominal. The other fish is a bruiser, and WAY bigger than any muskie I've even seen. But O'Brians fish looks fatter.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion... all we can go on is the accounts of witnesses, some of which are friends of mine, the weighing of the fish in the presence of the CO for the area, the certification of the scale and the fact that a noted muskie fishing historian verified the measurements and the weight. The fish is recognized as the Canadian record and may one day soon be recognized by other organizations if the application is ever processed by O'brien. I guess only time will tell.

Many of the pictures dont really do the fish justice. The image I think is most telling is the shot of O'Brien holding the fish across his body on the dock - not the close up but the one taken from a distance. As Shawn Mahar tells the story, as they pulled into the dock that day, the fish in O'Briens arms looked like something out of a cartoon!!

The other thing to consider is body / muscle and tissue mass and body mass including stomach contents. It has been reported that the O'Brien fish had something like 12 pounds of bullheads in its belly when it was caught. If you do the math, a 50 pound class fish very quickly becomes a 60 pound class fish when combining the two values.

Larry Ramsell has updated his Compendium and it is now availalbe. Several new additions have been included... including some significant not well known Canadian fish.

Tight lines, y'all...

TITAN

Edited by titan

Guest gbfisher

The guy in the black winter hat is none other than StanThe Musky Man Nowacin. Stan is 84 and still at it. Die hard for sure. Stan has seen a lot of Musky in his time and has a lot of stories to go with them all. :lol:

Its funny to watch him fall asleep in the afternoon while driving the boat... :w00t: ......Wakes up and all startled like and says....WHERE ARE WE....any hits?.. :D

Still fishing Stan....no hits ....... :dunno::lol:

Edited by gbfisher