to the real musky hunters

bassjnkie

I am mainly a carp fisherman, and know for a fact that if I catch a record carp, I will let it go.

My question, since musky fisherman cherish musky as I do carp. Will you kill a record musky to put it in the books?

Its a stupid question, but I am just curious of the answers?

Daniel

OCH

if I knew for sure it is a record,

and if I believed I can make money on it

I would keep any record fish..I have a livewell so I would try to keep it alive

muskie maybe..bass no doubt about it, could/ would make over a million bucks

I would not kill it just to have a trophy on the wall.....

yeah it's all about the Bennies

i would release any trophy, unless its invasive.

You have it out for me, uh Skelz!! LOL invasive. How about I take you out for an invasive carp sometime?

Thanx for the reponces everyone. Keep them coming.

Daniel

OCH

Edited by Ontariocarper

i think i would keep any record fish. Not sure how much money it would bring but i think i rather have my name in the records books then the finacial gain from it if in fact there is any. I like the live release idea however how do you get to a certified scale with the fish still alive? my luck i would get fined for illegal trasportation of fish lol

Cheers!

Exact reason I think the Georgian Bay district CO, Bruce Ward, should stick his speach up his :asshat: .....about how you shouldn't be fishing muskie with a conservation licence. Doing so makes it a really easy decission that the monster swims for another day ! He claims his main concern is protecting the fishery and this would insure that even a new world record would swim.

I've always said I'd take a picture and release it. Even with my shiney new Sport licence this year... I think I'd still take that tact. Can't see killing her...for the Bull that goes along with it. Just read Larry Ramsell's book and ask yourself if you really need that "thrill" in your life.

The real problem comes when you try to claim a world record. This year we had a world record flounder caught and when the women tried to claim the record all hell broke lose i.e death threats and all matter of character bashing.

Al McReynolds ( world record Striped Bass) said that the fish was a curse.He said that he had a gun pulled on him over the record.

You can read his story here or just skip to the section named BAd

http://www.stripers247.com/Almcreynoldsrecordstriper.htm

Edited by ALEX

I'm not a real true blue musky fisherman but I might have to say yes. I'm big on catch and release and almost never keep anything I catch; definetly never for a trophy (although who am I kidding, I don't catch trophy size fish). But...If it would guarentee a serious financial windfall for my familly I'd give up my principals and go for the cash I guess. I'd feel bad/guilty about the fish but it would be a difficult choice......I don't honestly know what I'd do.

Only if it was 100% the record. I need the money plain and simple even if it was $50 grand to lie that you caught it on a certain name brand even though you didn't. :lol: And it's a fact you would catch heat from every direction, but at the end of the day your name would be in the history books, good or bad it's still there to remember, plus a fish of that size is either a mutant (like a 8' man) or it's on it's last leg anyway. Just my point of view.

Or if your a fishing guide or make your own lures or have a lodge or all three than it would be even better to keep it to yourself.

Bottom line money rules, but I'm done dreaming for the day. :)

I'd have a real big dilema. I couldn't kill it, but if I could get it to a certified scale alive I would try and get it there alive. IF I was 40km from the nearest station and had no camera to verify my story, I would let it go and cry alot... If it died or looked like it was going to bite the bullet, I'd be forced to harvest and collect all that loot.

I'd be forced to harvest and collect all that loot.

Everyone keeps saying that! Do you really think there is a big windfall for catching a new record fish? If so how much do you think it is. Who's lures are you going to claim you caught it on, once you hide the real bait, to try and get an endorsement deal? Did Ken O'Brien make anything off his dead fish?

Imagine if you could keep it alive and get it in to Bass Pro's Tank...

That would be pretty neat.

If I caught a Ontario record Largie or Smallie or world Record Smallie, that's what I'd do.

In Texas, they (BPS) pay something to $1000/mth for a live teenage bass specimen at the Bass Pro Shops in Grapevine. At least that's what I heard. It would be neat regardless to have your fish on display for people to hold in awe... :)

A carp you could probably put in a garbage bag with some wet sponges and it would survive the drive. lol Those are some tough critters.

A musky would be a lot harder to keep alive.

A bass would be relatively easy to keep alive I think, so it would be the most realistic. I'd do the same with a 4 lb perch, sunnie or rockie too.

Charles