River fishing

HUKDONFAWNIX

Hi Everyone,

I have decided I want to explore fishing rivers next year and I currently don't have the proper gear. I bought some chest waders based on some opinions from this site (thank you). But I don't know what type of rod, reel and line to buy?

I'm not interested in learning how to flyfish yet, so I would prefer it if someone could recommend a Spinning set-up. Also any must have lures for trout would be helpful since I would like to target them on the Grand.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:Gonefishing:

Edited by HUKDONFAWNIX

well, most of the good trout spots on the grand are protected so you'll have to make your lures barbless. Grab lots of spinners and you're set. As for gear, get a medium action to medium-light action and a spinning reel and you're set. I'd go with 4-6 pound test.....

Oh, be careful it's quite rocky where the trout play on the grand!

Hi Everyone,

I have decided I want to explore fishing rivers next year and I currently don't have the proper gear. I bought some chest waders based on some opinions from this site (thank you). But I don't know what type of rod, reel and line to buy?

I'm not interested in learning how to flyfish yet, so I would prefer it if someone could recommend a Spinning set-up. Also any must have lures for trout would be helpful since I would like to target them on the Grand.

If you want smallies use a decent light spinning rig with some grey original Rapala floaters and some plastic worms, and bug repellent.

JF

Keep it light!

since you are going to be on a go most of the time, bring with you just whatever you need.

Make sure that the spinning wheel isnt a huge one, you dont need 300 yards of line on it.

Get some hooks, some spinners if you are chasing trout, for bass tubes and worms i guess.

and good luck!

I've spent my whole life fishing from shore. Mostly the Sydenham and various spots on the Thames. IMO waders are nice to have but not a must in most situations. As far as rod and reel go just about anything you choose will work well. Go for a rod that isn't too long and breaks down so you can easily walk into new spots. If I had only 2 lures to take with me fishing from shore anywhere and for any species they would be a Mepps Comet and a Rapala floating jointed minnow.

Float fishing, with spinning equipment, is also a lot of fun. This is a method that’s well suited for the lower Grand, too.

Under a float, you can use lures, such as jigs, wet flies and plastic baits (the 3" berkeley worm in hot pink is very popular among steelheaders & can be rigged weedless). Baits are usually better, and this can range from small minnows and worms, to fish eggs tied in bags. If you look at Solopaddler’s most recent posts, most of the fish in his pictures have roe bags still in their mouths. As far as exactly what kind of float to use, I suggest www.redwingtackle.com as a good place to start. They have an article on how to rig up that is pretty good, and their floats are good too. Note that they are “floats,” not “bobbers.” This means that they don’t bob. When a fish strikes, they are designed to go down and stay down.

I’ve only fished the Grand once, so you’ll have to figure out the depth. The rule of thumb is to keep the bait or lure about 6” from the bottom. Where the current is pretty constant, trout tend to hug bottom & stick close to structure. If the water is really slow, try shortening the lead a little (I’ve seen a 2 ft lead work in roughly 9ft of water at a river mouth once; anything much longer than that was not being visited at all).

Longer rods are better for float fishing, because they allow you to keep your line out of the water thereby giving your float rig a more natural drift. I would suggest 12 ft as the minimum length rod to use on the Grand. You can rig your reel with 6 or 8lb test, which should suffice. You can actually use this setup for tossing lures, which is sometimes very effective for trout.

Good luck!

p.-