OFN Ice watch!!!

jeffw

Too early? I think I'll be drilling next weekend in the haliburton area with no problems. Check the long range forcast!!

Heres what the kawartha's look like this morning!

PB220012.jpg

Wont' be long now!! As long as it stays below zero at night, we'll be drilling in no time!!

Sinker

I agree - toooooo early. UNLESS you're talking small back lakes for splake and such.. up in the Haliburtons, Algonquin region I've heard the small lakes are already ice-covered... But most of us don't fish those waters! Simcoe's 2 months off! If it stays cold!!!

Anyhow, It's -20C in Bancroft as I write this...That's cold enough to form a good coat by morning, even on a fair sized lake

I'd like to get my boat out one more time too, so I'm hoping for a warm up myself

6 degrees Sunday.. 8 on Monday.

check again...latest forcast has changed...cold temps for long range...

i think those who are eagerly awaiting the ice season may get their wish

there's 3" of ice on many algoiquin lakes according to my sources... -22 last night up there... ice might be here to stay!

hey, it's almost dec

Im up in north bay some small back lakes are frozen over but unstable. THere is about 10cm of snow from last night and another 10 coming. But rain and warmer temps will melt all the snow and ice in the next couple days. I think you are looking at late dec before you get any real safe ice. Hopefully it will be sooner then last year though. I talked to a guy in the south bay of nip who didnt get his huts out until feb last year.

Be safe on the ice if you do try to go out this early.

Cheers!

Ummm sorry...it's changed to + 5C for Sunday 6C for Monday and RAIN! 3 Tuesday 4 Thursday and RAIN.

Not sure where your getting this weather??

With the exception of monday, I get below zero temps all next week when I check TWN. 6 degrees with rain in the day, then -5 over night will only make more ice.......it freezes much faster than it thaws!!

Looks like prime ice making weather to me......for the Haliburtons at least.

Sinker

Last night sturgeon lake was wide open and this morning theres ice covering most of the lake.

By the way at 10:30 am its -14.

Cheers Jeff

No kidding.

I went by the launch at pleasant point yesterday evening to see if it was still open. It was. headed up there this morning with the boat in tow to try and get one more duck hunt in, and it was a no go. The ice has built up a lot over night, and that's with a stiff wind blowing. Amazing how fast it happens when conditions are right!!

I'm getting the gear out today, and going for a road trip in the morning. MMMMM.......splake :)

Sinker