1st Ice Fishing Attempt. In the GTA

dsn

Hard water in the GTA means ice fishing. This is my first attempt at ice fishing in the GTA.

:lol: I saw these bubbles and some of the bubbles look fresh . (Carptracker ;) )

The ones that have been around for a while are white. The fresh bubbles are darker.

ice2.jpg

The ice was a solid clear sheet. Slightly less than half an inch thick. Unsafe to stand on,

let alone walk on it.

ice4.jpg

It was hard to break. I managed to break it with something heavy.

ice3.jpg

You can see the clouds forming from fishing swimming away under the ice. Oh how frustrating, I can see them but I can't cast to them. :lol: My rig or whatever I

cast just bounced off the ice and slid all along the surface. :( Not even a dent in the ice.

ice5.jpg

I busted out the corn and chummed the hole. Lovely colors too I migth add.

ice6.jpg

Then I seen them all swim by leaving a trail of smoke under the clear ice.

ice7.jpg

And that was it. The ice fishing was over they never came back. :P

ice8.jpg

So Then I decided to try softwater. Went to an other location in the GTA.

Fish on!! Fought pretty good. Few head shakes even took out drag!! Carp? Salmon? Trout?

pk1.jpg

Turns out to be a pike. I think I'll stick to the softwater. :lol:

pk2.jpg

pk3.jpg

Nice size too I might add. It had a belly also.

pk6a.jpg

I was trying to find out where was my lure was and how deep it is. So I turned it on its side.

pk6.jpg

pk5.jpg

Then I found that it took the cleo in deep!! I gently lifted it up and took it out. No damage. Took a quick pic for my record keeping and back she went.

pk7.jpg

I was going to head out yesterday but couldn't make it with 007. Sorry bro.

dsn

Nice ice shots dsn!

I guess those carp would have been fair game for us the other day when we had planned to go fishing - before the white stuff started falling from the sky and the water got that hard coating! Was pretty disappointed that I didn't go out fishing on my day-off but it was a shocker of a day weather-wise.

Good to know there are still some pike around, though I don't think I will get chance to fish for them now - running out of time :-(

Glad you caught a fish and got some nice photos for the album.

Was that caught with your telescopic Shimano rod you mentioned the other day? I would be interested to know more about the rod.

yeh I was at BPS the other day and spent $200 bucks there. The shimano ExAGE STC Telescope was $67 bucks. Light weight easy to carry on the transit system. I also bought camo backpack for $14 bucks.

dsn

Hey dsn- is that rod good enough for carp - what line strength is it suited for? What length - when extended?

Yeah I was using it for carp this summer til a carp stole it from me.Its a 7 foot rod.

funny it doesn't say what weight it is. But my guess is your standard medium.

dsn

i love those pics dsn! i wonder how the fight's gonna be like if you hooked into a good sized carp during the hard water session ...

u'll probably need lots of line on ur reel to handle carp on that exage ... especially the big fat ones in lake o

i love those pics dsn! i wonder how the fight's gonna be like if you hooked into a good sized carp during the hard water session ...

u'll probably need lots of line on ur reel to handle carp on that exage ... especially the big fat ones in lake o

I figured I'll worry about that when I get a fish on. :lol:

dsn