Argo advise from those in the know...

irishfield

Wayne,

You live in an area that is enriched with Scoot history.

The original Scoots had the notorious problem of killing their operators.

I suppose you're not affraid of a spinning prop., except for the fact that you generally sit on the opposite side.

There was a book available from the Huronia Museum that is no longer on their website, I can get you the book info if needed.

There is alot of people on here that probably don't know what a Scoot is.

I'm sending you a picture with an email. You could post it if you'd like.

A few years back, there was a feller that lives at the mouth of the Bad River (check that out on a map, they need one) that still builds custom Scoots.

Brian

Edited by nofish4me

Yep..lots of scoots up here. F-in-law sold his...the bugger... a week before I bought my place in Temagami in '04. Could use it for sure. As in your picture many got injured because they took engine/prop right of an airplane and put the prop facing forward right above the occupants heads. Pusher props are readily available these days so no reason to do that..and like the swamp/air boats you can also cage in the prop to protect the "challenged" that walk into spinning props. Props don't scare me, or anyone in our family...because we have GREAT respect for them!

Fangs nephew has a REALLY nice scoot that he uses, from ice in to ice out, to get his kids to the school bus each day on Lake Temagami.

Edited by irishfield

All I know is you can hear an Argo with tracks coming from miles away!

Every winter we head out to my buddies hunting camp for an ice fishing weekend. Pretty secluded and quiet area. The last year we were out, some dude came out of the forest onto the lake in one of those - for a minute, i thought we were being invaded by the germans!

"Maybe I should just stick with a long track sled"

One thing to remember is that last year the slush was real bad on Simcoe. I don't know if you had the slush that up north. But every year may be different. I hope we don't get the slush this year.

A long track with some power would get on top of soft stuff.

Also my buddy says that the new Argos have more ground clearance and bigger tires.

I'd take a good long track snow machine over an argo anyday......as long as your talking winter travel only.

You can have some good fun in the argo all season long, but if your after good reliable winter travel.....ya can't beat a long track with lots of power!

Sinker

Heard from a friend of a friend...there's a fellow in Midland, Brian Dumont(sp) that builds Scoots up there, not as big as the monster in the pic above, more like a 2 seater. I'm sure as long as somebody tries hard enough, you could hang up an Argo, but drive one like a "normal" person wanting to come home at the end of the day... The newer ones do have a couple extra inches clearance with higher tires. An all rubber track is available from a dealer in QC, apparantly even better floatation on soft stuff than what the Argo tracks do.