Argo advise from those in the know...

irishfield

So I know I need a bigger sled for the lake... after last years slush fiasco and luckily having Ron to pull me around 1/2 the lake. Got to thinking about it and thinking maybe an Argo with tracks would be the better way to go and safer way to go to explore "new" untracked ice.

How fast will these things go with tracks on them?

If you do go in thru the ice....will they pull themselves out...or is it as I expect and I need to get an anchor into ice and use the winch...that's mounted on the wrong end usually !

What should I be looking for in say a 10 year old machine in way of worn out items?

Way too much money new...even expensive used and don't want to get burned.

Thanks for any input in advance! Wayne

reg_5main.toplr.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Guest skeeter99

I know they float, have been duck hunting in them

but I am not sure if you did go through the ice if it would get itself out, probably would have to anchor like you said

they do get stuck the same as snowmachines but not as much, seen alot of them stuck on simcoe last year and the sleds just pinned it and when right past

top speed maybe 35 km at least the one my friend had

honestly a snowmachine would be better I think(alot quicker travel) but the argos are comfy with the heater though

Thanks Andy and Skeeter.

Andy/anyone...do you know what the regs are on insurance on an Argo.. Do I need it..does it need to be plated for lake use?

I'd get a scoot before I went hovercraft. But they freeze in as well when you park them!

Edited by irishfield

Guest skeeter99

I looked on canadian sites for used argos

they are not to bad used

a 2000 to 2002 ranges from 5 to 6 grand not bad for what you are getting

my friend does have insurance on his, and if he has insurance on it it must be law not sure (he is a cheap s.o.b.)

Found their website...claims it will claw it's way back up on the ice.. I'd have to see it to believe it.

Get a grip on icy conditionsFor times when one has to traverse across a frozen lake the ARGO is the perfect vehicle for such tactically challenging maneuvering. In the event that the ARGO does exceed the ice’s weight limit and falls through, the vehicle is consistently able to claw its way out to safety. With features such as this it is no wonder the ARGO is able to grant peace of mind to even the most apprehensive ice fishers and off-road winter enthusiasts.

In fact, ARGOs have even been dubbed “The Unofficial Rescue Vehicle” after an Ice Fishing tournament in New York. As the tournaments Coordinating Director, Mike “Smitty” Smith reiterates, “They [the ARGOs] saved our bacon. Since the ice was only two to three inches, it was too thin for Snow Mobiles and ATV’s. The ARGOs assisted in pulling out snowmobiles and ATV’s all day long.” Clearly, with testimonials such as this, it is no surprise that the ARGO has been labeled the most versatile vehicle for ice conditions.

“Overnight, the temperature plummeted and the swamps I had eased through the day before now had ice varying in thickness from one to two inches. At the edges, the ice would carry the weight of the machine but in the centre of the larger pools, the Avenger would fall through. The tension showed pretty clearly on my face the first time the machine went in. I sat there bobbing for a minute, mentally shrugged and gave the throttle a twist. Like an obedient lab retrieving a duck the Avenger clawed its way forward breaking the ice as it went. When I hit the thicker ice, the tracks spun, the machine walked sideways a foot and the tracks grabbed purchase and up we clambered on top of the ice.”

Rich Mellon

Guest skeeter99

I would have to see it to believe it too

they were in a swamp the machine would get leverage from the bottom of the swamp? ie. rear track would grip mud and debris

out in 10/20/30/40/50>>>>>>100 ft of water there is no leverage there LOL!!!

Guest skeeter99

I think you should get a snowmachine, faster and you can boot around on the trails tooo!!

here are some good ones under 3 grand, really great deals almost pocket change

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mk...;ADS=6532517%7C

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...mp;adid=6583708

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mk...;ADS=6582791%7C

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...mp;adid=6567377

Wayne, I have looked at a few of them.

I know most of my toys quite well (sleds, quads, bikes, boats) but Argos

have always been a tad pricey for me.

Anyway, if you had a connection in Alberta theres a good deal on another forum Im on.

Not sure if its still 4 sale but I know its cheap.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread....;highlight=argo

My inlaws have one and they have tracks for it. They go just about everywhere, and they travel reasonably quick. I learned the hard way that they dont always come out if you break through the ice. It kind of depends how it goes in. If just the front goes through you can usually back out. But if you go right through and are floating it's pretty tough to get out without someone pulling you on a sled.

And if you get one like you have picture above, and you fold the window down, don't lean on it when you are getting out. The crack, then spiderweb and your father in law gets REALLY ticked. I learned that the hard way too.

Edited by verno

Top speed is about 35km/h on tires, it's drops to about 25 with tracks. If you get the tracks, I would go with the wider Super track kit with ice cleats for real deep snow. As for maintenance, the newer ones, (2000+) are better, no more shear pins to replace, they have splined axle shafts that go on the sprockets. I just replaced one set of bearings on one of the axles, not a hard job, if you build planes you're mechanically inclined enough to fix these machines.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Hard to justify any expense when it comes right down to it...as I only make 2 or 3 trips North each winter...but I rather not go thru what I have been again with my "big" Yamaha 250 Bravo out on the ice the last couple of years. It's fine for the few times I use a sled around here in the snow. I have no interest in humping the trails...I just want something safe to run the lake with when at the cabin to check on it and ice fish in the winter with the lads.

Terry...have seen those tracks. They have a used set in Alliston for about $2000 and I could put them on my Yamaha Big Bear I presume.

An an Argo can go on the frozen lake until there's about a foot of snow, give or take depending on how wet it is. Snow drifts will cause many argos to bog down. More than once I witnessed riders having to jump off and push. The upside is, an argo is more versatile than a snowmobile/sled, allowing one to go moose, deer, and bird hunting. Also can be used to hunt ducks.

Wayne. The limitation with just about any tracked vehicle like the Argo is the belly pan. Ground clearance is the key here. If there is more weight of the vehicle supported by the pan than the tracks you are stuck. Slush is the big enemy. God help you if you get one of these stuck in slush.

Edited by Bernie