Anyone Live on the Shores of Pigeon Lake??

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Was wondering if anyone on the board lives on the shores of Pigeon Lake? I'm driving down tomorrow (Friday) to do a photoshoot while a few of my buddies duck hunt. Any skim ice on the lake yet? He has a cottage in the southern end of Pigeon, but won't be arriving until after I have almost done the drive from Ottawa.

Worst case scenario is we will hunt on the Otonabee in Peterborough...

Just thought I'd see if anyone had some info..

Thanks in advance.

Justin

You'll be fine. Any ice that will be there, won't be thick enough to stop a boat.

I just pulled my boat out of sturgeon lake last night. The only reason I pulled it was all the snow and rain...........the lakes are wide open......I'll be launching it again on saturday for a layout hunt.

Lots of black and white birds, and loads of migrant mallards and geese around. Should be a great day for duck hunting......good luck!!

Sinker

Thanks for the info, Sinker...Much appreciated.

Conditions look pretty decent for a good hunt. Hoping to get an evening hunt in tomorrow, then a morning hunt Saturday, then complete the drive back to Ottawa.

Hopefully I can get some good shots.

I'll let you know how we make out.

Good Hunting,

Justin

You'll be fine. Any ice that will be there, won't be thick enough to stop a boat.

I just pulled my boat out of sturgeon lake last night. The only reason I pulled it was all the snow and rain...........the lakes are wide open......I'll be launching it again on saturday for a layout hunt.

Lots of black and white birds, and loads of migrant mallards and geese around. Should be a great day for duck hunting......good luck!!

Sinker

What time should I be there ? :whistling::thumbsup_anim::clapping::canadian:

white birds

You eat those seagulls :wacko::dunno::lol::lol:

Look forward to the photos J.

Edited by misfish

Clear & calm last night with a low of -13C.

My bay on Upper Buckhorn is frozen all the way to the open lake. I don't know how thick most of it is, but it looks like more than I would want to break a boat through.

The south end of Pigeon is very shallow, I wouldn't be surprised if it froze most the way across last night. No temps above freezing til Sunday.

Hey Guys,

Well, the trip was cancelled. Luckily my bud got me on my cell this morning, just before I made the four hour drive. He had just got word from his Dad, who stopped in at the cottage last night, and the entire width of Pigeon where they are located is iced over from shore to shore. I guess once the cold hits, it doesn't take long.

Hopefully we'll get out to the Otonobee before she ices over...

Now I have to find something to do this weekend...lol

Thanks again,

Justin

Hey Guys,

Well, the trip was cancelled. Luckily my bud got me on my cell this morning, just before I made the four hour drive. He had just got word from his Dad, who stopped in at the cottage last night, and the entire width of Pigeon where they are located is iced over from shore to shore. I guess once the cold hits, it doesn't take long.

Hopefully we'll get out to the Otonobee before she ices over...

Now I have to find something to do this weekend...lol

Thanks again,

Justin

You should have went.....I did. We broke ice for a bit, then found some open water......set up.....got birds.....came home :) This is the best time of year, the birds are confused.....all thier spots are frozen, so they don't know where to go.

PB220010.jpg

PB220012.jpg

PB220013.jpg

It was a fresh morning on the water though. We spent a lot of time busting ice off the decoys, but it was worth it to get that last shoot in!!

Sinker