I have gone through brakes often

problems with the heater core

and the air conditioning

and it likes to eat wheel bearing

and a very light rear end

just try to take off on wet roads without spinning the wheels

but it's a pretty little truck

Kyle, I bought a new Dakota in 2001 with the v-6, auto

It was a nice truck and rode well, but I found it way underpowered. Not bad around town, but pretty gutless on the hiway if I needed to pass anyone, and when I was towning my boat, it was a dog.

I only kept it 3 years then got rid of it because of the lack of power.

If you can find one with the 4.7 I think you'll be much happier with it, although there were alot of issues with the front end on those trucks and Chrysler refusing to admit it, even went so far as to have a segment on 60 Minutes before they'd admit the problem and have a recall on them.

There's a good website dedicated to Dakotas and you can get all the info you need

www.dodgedakotas.com

Cnv0270.jpg

My dilema is that gas here is 110.

Its just a work truck so being gutless may not be to much to worry about....Lew, you speed demon LOL

Anything with the 4.7 is a heck of a lot more then what I wanted to spend on a work truck.

Mainly looking for something reliable. Front end problems are a new thing to me, Im used to driving Nissan pickups.

Thanks you guys, Im gonna head over to the stealership and lowball them.

For some reason I dont feel bad hurting a car salesmans feelings, weird.

Hi Guys

I have a 2001 quad cab V6 5 speed stick, its been a Great truck, i have 270 thousand on her and i have only replaced the brakes,tires and water pump....oh ya the u joints as well, but she does love the gas and as for speed i have never reach the end of the motor, at 2800 rpm she pushes 185km with lots of room left on the petal, its also a dream to tow with, but like i said it loves the gas....did i mention it LOVES the GAS.

when i kill this one i will buy another in a heart beat.

Hope it helps

RP

I still only have 78000 k on it

i win! just about turn turn over 62,000kms :thumbsup_anim:

2000 regular cab with and its v6 standard. i bought it 2 years ago with 31k on it and its been great since. when i haul my trailer full of garbage i have no problems passing at all. heaviest was 1 1/2 tons and it gave her a good workout but had no problems at all reaching 80kms (i wouldnt go faster because no electric brakes).

i took off the fan and did a diy port and polish to the throttle body and noticed a really big difference in power and mileage. no problems with power for me. one time i had her bottomed right out with a load of gravel (thanks to the idiot at the yard) and it was fine so it should be ok for a normal work truck.

average 500-550kms per tank city driving. im 22 so i drive a "little" aggressive. the smaller v6 definitely sucks the gas with heavy loads though.

currently looking for some rubber to replace the stock tires...yes stock on a 2000 model.

I also have a 2001 V-6 (3.9L) 4x4 club-cab.

It's been a great truck, though it did cost me a new transmission (almost $2500) a few years ago. I've got about 135,000 km on it now. All the mileage is front-end loaded, used it as a work truck for the first couple of years and piled 115,000 km on. Now it's strictly a weekend vehicle, only 20,000 in the last four years.

If I can keep the mileage down, I hope to have the truck for a long time to come.

As previously noted, the 3.9L loves the gas. I drove a Jeep Liberty for a while with the 3.7L V-6 (now the standard in the Dakota) and it was even worse (even in a much smaller vehicle).

My one regret with the purchase...shoulda had a V-8!...more power and better mileage.

I also have a 2001 V-6 (3.9L) 4x4 club-cab.

It's been a great truck, though it did cost me a new transmission (almost $2500) a few years ago. I've got about 135,000 km on it now. All the mileage is front-end loaded, used it as a work truck for the first couple of years and piled 115,000 km on. Now it's strictly a weekend vehicle, only 20,000 in the last four years.

If I can keep the mileage down, I hope to have the truck for a long time to come.

As previously noted, the 3.9L loves the gas. I drove a Jeep Liberty for a while with the 3.7L V-6 (now the standard in the Dakota) and it was even worse (even in a much smaller vehicle).

My one regret with the purchase...shoulda had a V-8!...more power and better mileage.