Anyone use Eagle GPS/Sonar Combos?

ccmtcanada

The boat that I have came with a Humminbird 100 fishfinder. It works, but after being on some boats with these fancy GPS/Sonar combos, I can see the advantages! AFter talking with Slowpoke on the weekend about his Lowrance and what to look for, I finally decided to start pricing them.

I've been looking primarily at Lowrance, Humminbird and Eagle. Since I'll be fishing relatively shallow Kawartha type lakes, I'm looking at a 200khz model, which from what I understand are better for these types of lakes. I'm also not looking to buy anything top end. Big screens and colour models are nice, but not necessary for me.

Does anyone have any experiences with Eagle units? They have a greyscale model on sale on their website right now and wanted some opinions. This unit is compatable with Navionics lake maps, which from what I've read on this board seems to be the standard. This is on sale right now for $349.99 USD....regular $459.99 USD.

Here's a link......

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...hart_fsh_finder

i016594sn01.jpg

Thanks!

im not sure if its low, but it has 1,500 watts peak to peak...

you shouldve grabbed the one i got from cabelas!

$820 or so CAD shipped, 7inch colour screen, 8000 watts peak to peak, dual 50/200 transducer and got temp and speed... for the extra $350 i say its totally worth it....

but on that unit.. does it have temp and speed? i think those would be nice to have too...

5 inch screen is more than sufficient but with it being greyscale, you cant see all those pretty colours ;)

but if you need the navionics gold xl9 chip.. a store in NS has it for sale at $220 CAD shipped or here in toronto at west marine has it for 199.99 + tax = $228, so im guessing the store would be a better deal, since its shipped and it took me 3 days to get it!!! (ordered on tuesday and got it on thursday!)

also.. a tip.. when adding the transducer.. ask shawn about mounting it onto a piece of plastic so it wont kill your transom when you do decide to change transducer later on....

good luck on finding a new graph cliff..

sorry,, also got this to add...

this is a wicked nice one but its huge.. so you might not need that for your boat..but bigger is better and it doesnt hurt...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

and here is a deal on one...

6inch screen.. its a lowrance.. its colour.. has dual transducer..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

i think the latter one would be a better investment than that eagle one there cliff....

for $150 more at 499, you get so much more.. heck.. almost same as mine but mine has a 7inch screen..

Hey Cliff,

I have the same model (no GPS) excellent little unit. Great for stuff up too 150" over that I find its hard to get a good reading of the bottom...

The Pixels do make it great.

impression that lowrance is the best... :)

Eagle Electronics

Our facility is located at 12000 East Skelly Drive, Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Lowrance

Lowrance's mailing address is 12000 East Skelly Drive, Tulsa, Oklahoma

Hummmmmmmm LOL

all i can say is that eagle is good but spend the few extra dollars and buy the lowrance model . both make by the same company but trust me when i say you will be glad you spent the extra few dollars. as for color or black and white. color is nice but black and white is fine. I own both.

I also use the fishstrike 2000 and it is great. As for paying the extra to get Lowrance , my dealer told me that a lot of guys that do buy Lowrance never use the features that are costing you extra. Talk to a dealer who can explain the differences and listen to what you need and will sell you the most suited product not the most expensive.

I have a Lowrance LMS-332C Cliff. I think the current model is LMS-520. I think its worth the extra $$$ for colour, much easier to see and read the screen. Definately get a unit with a temp gauge. Its great to spend money at your local tackle shop(JB's fishing depot) but its hard not to take advantage of the Canadian dollar and buy in the US.

6266Picture_234.jpg

Edited by Pigeontroller

Eagle is a great gps/fishfinder.

There is an old saying that goes something like this. "Lowrance and Eagle are owned by the same company.... Eagle finders are the best lowrance has made and proven flawless.... the Lowrance models are new technology that have a lot of lets say kinks to work out."

I own an older Eagle Status GPS/Fishfinder and love it. Never... ever have I had to do anything to it except plug it in.

I would say go with the lower priced Eagle unit.... you will do fine with it. When and if you upgrade your boat then plan to buy a bigger GPS/Finder then... and watch how many little issues surface with the Lowrance finders as you enjoy your Eagle unit.

Don't get me wrong here.... the color units are far better for finding fish and the larger sceens are real nice.... but for the price they want to be.... and for the price I expect them not to have the issues they do with units constantly losing the GPS puck ... etc. If anyone reps from Lowrance are reading this... you might want to recommend that they start pushing proven technology rather than trying to flaunt stuff that isn't quite ready for prime time.... kind of like Microsoft pushing Windows that isn't ready .... and relying on downloading fixes for problems. Not good for client relations. My 2 cents.