How do I set up so that leader won't tangle with main line?

mikeymikey

Hello.

I would like to setup so that I have a weight on the bottom with hook+short leader above few feet.

I did try using 3-way swivel but I would still get enough tangling of bait hooked leader tangling to the main line.

Since line I am using is light line (4~6lb). Obviously this won't be a problem if I were using a thicker/stiffer line.

Do you guys have tips and tricks for rigging up this kind of setup ? so I can have less-hassle time fishing?

Thank you!

You can try using a helicopter rig (You can google it for a description). I use it sometimes when fishing in heavy silt for carp and the mechanics behind it prevent tangling when distance casting. I can't say I have ever used it with 4 and 6lb line though - forget about using live bait with this rig.

What are you going to be fishing for?

Guest skeeter99

that is easy

you just want a drop shot rig

1. tie a polamar knot on a hook 10 inches(or what ever length you want) from end of line(be sure to tie knot going through the back off hook) tying it this way will make the hook stand up (point up)

2. tie your weight on bottom

3. you are done takes about half a minute to do when you get good at it, or the smallies are going crazy LOL!!!!

I use a doppler loop . A ot of my rigs have two speratehooks called a top and bottom rig you can google either doppler or top and bottom rig for more info. The trick is your hook line must be short enough so as not to reach the weight but if you need a long hook line try the Helicopter rig that MUl suggested it works really well also

Edited by ALEX

Well, it's fishing from the shores... so some what longer casts.

Bait will be minnows & worms.

Hmmm...well in that case I personally wouldn't use that style of rig, it's not quite as natural as a simpler rig.

Hey everyone's different but I'd first run some type of sliding sinker like an egg sinker onto your main line. When you feel a hit open your bail and feed line to the fish. Your line slips through the egg sinker and the fish feels no resistance....

Next slide a small bead on your line and tie your mainline to a 2 way swivel. The bead acts as a cushion between your egg sinker and your knot.

Next, tie a tippet onto the other end of your swivel, something that's lighter than your mainline. Short (2-3') if the water is roiled or murky or longer (3-6') if the water is clear.

If getting your bait up off the bottom is important try running a small floater on your line like one of these: floaters.jpg

You can let the floater slide freely on your tippet right up to your hook, or for a more finesse presentation, before you tie your hook on run your tippet through the floater twice and lock it in place on your line. When I do that I'll generally place the floater about 1' from my hook.

Another option for keeping worms off the bottom is to eliminate the floater entirely. Simply hook the worm once through the nose and inject some air into its tail with one of these:worm_blower.jpg

cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

If I am fishing an area where the depth is pretty much the same I will use a slip bobber, I don`t like my bait parked in one place, I prefer to get some kind of drift, even if it is just from the wind, or in case of minnows as bait their movement.

Like solo mentioned the worm blowers work pretty well for keeping a nitecrawler off the bottom, it keeps them visible to the fish. Dropshot rig will work, they also used to sell some plastic clip on your line devices you can set and run a leader off of at just about any depth.

A egg or worm sinker with a swivel below it and a leader 12 to 36 inches long tied to the swivel will give you some room to get the bait near or on the bottom. Kind of like a carolina set up with bait. You can use a floating jighead instead of just a hook.

You might want to give "Bear Paw" connectors a try...they help make the hook stand out from the main line providing your leader is not real long...

By loosening them off a little you can reposition them up or down the line...