Help with Diving Duck I.D.

tonyb

Unfortunately, one of them decided to eat the minnow that was on my hook and I caught it...(released of course) <_<

There were about a dozen of them that were diving and catching baitfish with ease.

They were diving in the inner-harbour and I was fishing on the lake side at Bronte, so I thought I was safe, but the one I caught must have swam a relatively long distance underwater as I was keeping an eye out for them on the surface where I was fishing...

Anyone know what type of Duck these are? The one that I hooked was the black and white looking one on the right...I think they are the same species though male/female?

img0003mediumio2.jpg

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Yup, and so is the one on the right in the pic. Just not fully plumed yet. They don't all have the long tails. It comes with age, a fully plumed mature drake will have the long tail. A young drake will have no tail, or a shorter one.

I'm not saying your wrong Ron, but the bird on the right in the original pic is a drake old squaw. :) Hens are mostly brownish/grey on thier backs. Hardly any white like the bird in the pic.

Sinker

do those ducks have a bad odour? I know a guy who says "ducks" and then a few seconds later there is a really bad smell. Just wondering if they are the same ducks.

Yes....those ducks do smell bad. However, not as noisy as the "pull my finger" ducks.