COFFEE

snag

For me, the best coffee that I make is by grinding Arabica beans, that I buy by the kilo at the grocery store, just before making the coffee. Ideally, the grinder must not heat the beans during the grinding but that would take a very expensive grinder to do that.

I then place the very very fine ground coffee in a filter then pour just enough hot water over the coffee to fill a cup. The nice part of this technique is that it's easy to do when camping or fishing. I bring along water, coffee, filters and a tiny naphtha stove for brewing coffee in the boat when fishing.

I only add a bit of sugar to the coffee.

When I buy coffee in town, it's usually at Tim Horton's. However, across the street from my house, there is a tiny breakfast place that has the best coffee that I have ever bought. The owner buys her coffee beans then grinds it herself with an expensive grinder that does not heat up the coffee beans during the grinding procèss.

The water we get at our house is great. A big bottling company wants to buy the rights to this water but the municipality turned them down. I'm sure that the quality of the water has a lot to do with the taste of coffee.

Edited by Dabluz

douG,

I would recommend an Indonesian coffee. Indonesians compliment cheeses VERY well. Try pairing one up with Brie cheese. Very rich.....almost buttery.

Secondly, when brewing at home .....if possible try to use cold filtered water. This will always yield the best flavour.

Lastly, in order to yield the best tasting coffee, boiling water should never be used. Boiling water will ruin the extraction process and make horrible coffee. The best tasting coffee is produced using water at 88 - 93 degrees celsius. :rolleyes:

Meely

I have to say that I am impressed.

I have been neglectfully ignorant of my coffee consumption.

Such a daily beverage deserves some forethought.

Quite an education here.

Now if only I knew how to bookmark..................

What would you recommend to go along with a porchetta and provolone gweech?

That's Italian ham and stinky cheese on a Calabrese bun. If you're not down with Calabrese, call it an 'Italian country style' bun. A sangweech.

Thanks, Meely, for the advice and correspondence. Since that icefish trip with Ron, Rattletrap and you 4 years ago, I never go fishing without a bag full of gweeches. Especially since I don't have a boat.

Best to the gweechmaster.

Edited by douG