COFFEE

snag

It's almost midnight.

I am going musky fishing in 4 hours.

Can't/won't sleep.

Coffee is the new blood.

I brew my own from pre-ground cheap beans.

Is Timmies going to pimp me 4ever?

Is there another universe?

What do you recommend?

Jeeze, Skeeter. Now stop that.

Folgers is mud. Max house is tolerable, but Nabob is a little better. Or you can check out those $$$ coffees, catsh!t coffee (go ahead: 20,000 googles) at $600 / lb.

It's really tough to beat Jamaican quality coffee. Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee is like an appelation controllee for French wine, the designation is licensed with strict boundaries, quality control. That's what I think coffee should taste like.

If Tims coffee had any more caffeine, you'd need a prescription. Legal crank.

Hope you tie into a scrapper musky, Snag. Pictures.

Edited by douG

Guest skeeter99

but seriously

get some costarican coffee very creamy (not like timmies that is watery) and about 10 times more caffeine than timmies if you buy the premium stuff, you almost get dizzy it is so strong but zero harsh or bitterness

Mebbe you just need Jolt or Red Bull? Or if you want a gentler sustained buzz, my son says Mountain Dew got him through all-nighters at university. Below is a comparison of different drinks' restorative potential.

http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

For me when I have an early start or just a lot of driving I hit the sheets early after taking one Gravol tab early in the evening. Sleep like a baby. Up early and a normal traveller transfusion of Timmy's (XL Black) has me good for the day.

JF

Nothing and I mean nothing beats this stuff.... I've had the Jamacian Blue Outhouse coffee.. but this stuff.. right from the Costa Rican Hills is what the Locals drink there.. and it is absolutley the best coffee anywhere... there I said it....

http://www.caferey.net/

this one in particular....

tradicional-500.gif

All else pales in comparison... and there should be no more discussion...

...nuff said!!!

LOL.... really.. it is really good... if anyone knows where I can get some... were out... please let me know... ill pay... whatever you want...... i NEEEDDD IT!!

Thanks for all the great advice folks.

Some real wisdom here.

I will try all of the above.

10 yrs. ago T.J. I was in Costa and brought some coffee back for the inlaws.

I was not as hooked on the stuff as I am now, but the taste lingers like a sweet sunrise at the base of Mt.Arenal.

(We camped there and it blew at 4am and we all thought we were gonna die!)

The worst coffee in a country visited was Guatemaula and Indonesia.

Thanks again,

BTW, I got skunked (Guess that Baileys should help...................)

Lake Arenal, cool. If you like to windsurf, that is prime. And the volcano as well. That must have been an incredible trip, rainforests and waterfalls and toucans and mountains and everything. Bougainvillea too.

Best coffee I've enjoyed was out of a 2 gallon dispenser at the breakfast buffet in Ocho Rios. I'm sure it wasn't the best, but it was delicious. It tasted a lot like coffee, most don't.

It seems that the best Jamaican coffee can be had for 30 - 50 $ / lb. That seems a little steep, guessing at 30 - 40 cups per pound. Then again, I pay a buck a cup for coffee made from sweepings a coupla times every day.

Get out the grinder, RLG. We gonna kick the java up a notch.

Edited by douG

Nothing and I mean nothing beats this stuff.... I've had the Jamacian Blue Outhouse coffee.. but this stuff.. right from the Costa Rican Hills is what the Locals drink there.. and it is absolutley the best coffee anywhere... there I said it....

http://www.caferey.net/

this one in particular....

tradicional-500.gif

All else pales in comparison... and there should be no more discussion...

...nuff said!!!

LOL.... really.. it is really good... if anyone knows where I can get some... were out... please let me know... ill pay... whatever you want...... i NEEEDDD IT!!

Cool, I'll have to see if I can track some of this stuff down.

Personally the best coffee I've ever had in my life was in Cuba while bumming around on Cayo Coco. No idea exactly what it was, but it was ambrosia :) .

The worst? I lived and worked in Manila for a spell and the coffee over there was hideous, LOL!

(3 years of pure hell for me)

Many moons ago, back when I was serving in Her Majesties Navy, we had large coffee urns (probably 25 gallons each) in the galley of the ship that ran 24 / 7 to accomodate everyone who worked around the clock. It never was what you would call good coffee, but it served it's purpose when nothing else was available.

One of the urns developed a strange taste at one point, so they decided it was maybe time to clean it out. The basket to hold the coffee could be reached from standing on the floor, but to look inside the urn, you had to climb up the counter, and when it was emptied and the cleaner looked down inside, he found the remains of a rat.

Seems one of our lads had gone ashore at some point and possibly consumed slightly more alcohol than recommended, had found a dead rat on the jetty and brought it aboard ship and deposited it the coffee pot......for whatever reason. :whistling:

The lads often did strange things when they went ashore after an extended tour at sea :blush:

I still luv my coffee and probably drink far more than I should, I'm just very careful to never drink any that's been made on naval ships anymore :clapping:

One of the urns developed a strange taste at one point, so they decided it was maybe time to clean it out. The basket to hold the coffee could be reached from standing on the floor, but to look inside the urn, you had to climb up the counter, and when it was emptied and the cleaner looked down inside, he found the remains of a rat.

Yech, OMG that's gross LOL!

Get a pet civet. Feed the beens to it and pick them out of it's excrement. People pay BIG bucks for that.

Believe it or not, I am not kidding. That really is considered the best coffee by many.

What I'd like to know is what possessed the very first guy to go though cat crap to find coffee beans to make his morning coffee. I mean, how much of a coffee junkie would you have to be! Just how bad a day was he having??

The best coffee I've ever had was in Spain. Actually, they don't sell coffee like we do here, everything is basically a Cappuccino! Very strong and very tasty. After drinking that stuff, I found it very difficult to drink the "dirty water" most establishments serve here.

HH

I grew up in a house where cheap cuts of meat and canned veggies along with instant coffee where the norm. My wife's family....much much different. More expensive cuts of meat...no veggies from a can and real coffee. I have more or less shifted over to my wife's families ways as far food and drink are concerned.

But when I visit my folks I still love my mom's cooking and when I smell the instant coffee in the morning it reminds me of how I grew up and I enjoyed it all.....then Debbe and I drive over to Timmies and get a coffee!!!!

It's all good....enjoy what you have.

Just like wine, coffee has many different characteristics. The characteristics are determined by a number of things. Type of bean ( Arabica are the premium bean VS. Robusta a lower grade coffee bean), the country of origin, the growing region in that country, and also how the coffee was processed greatly influences a coffee's characteristics.

The main growing regions in the world are ( I know....there are more) : Latin America, Africa, and Indonesia.

Each region produces coffee that is greatly different.

Latin america: usually nutty in aroma with a high acidity and mild in body

Africa: usually floral in aroma, medium acidity, and have a very "citrusy" flavour

Indonesia: usually very "earthy" in flavour, low acidity and are usually Bold or full bodied

Most "commercial" coffee is comprised of the lower grade Robusta beans "topped/mixed" in with some Arabica beans. Arabica beans are like the Ferrari's of beans. Very few coffees are 100% Arabica as they are more expensive.

Most of the world's coffee is grown between the two tropics where the climate is pretty consistent. A coffee tree will usually yieald about a pound of roasted coffee per year and will usually only produce for 10 years.

Just like wine, coffee "pairs" very well with certain foods as opposed to others. IE: A lemon pie will pair very well with an African Coffee.

Brewing methods are also very important when considering how you like your coffee.

My house has always seen freshly ground espresso beans used on a stove top brewer.

Just my "2 Beans" worth.......

Meely