Insurance for US boat

icefisherman

When buying boat from the US, how do you arrange for insurance coverage of the boat/trailer from the seller location to the Canadian border? Or do you just drive it few hours without insurance and cover it after it enters Canada on your house insurance?

I know the dealer can provide 30 days temp. permit so the trailer is legally towed back here but could not find much on the insurance issue. When I called my house insurance company they said they can cover it after it enters Canada.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Not sure Emil....never looked at my policy. But I know I can go buy another airplane, with a value up to what I already have, and it's automatically coverd for 15 days on my policy without even calling the insurance company. Not sure if anything similar applies on a boat policy.

It may be just another one of life's gambles for you!

Hmmm...I'm a broker and when I bought the boat in the U.S. I simply called my company with the Serial numbers and values, explained I had a bill of sale and ownership signed over to me, they didn't have an issue and covered me for the trip home. You may be able to arrange for a new policy outside of your house insurance with a specialty marine insurance company. In my humble opinion, you own the boat once it's paid and you have a receipt in hand so the natural market is your current insurer...we deal with a lot of this with people buying vehicles in the States as well.