balsam lake muskie

goteeboy

was out on balsam monday. we got on the water at 11 and the water/wind wasn't too bad. we arrive at our spot and w/in the first five casts, my bro had a muskie on. it was the biggest i've seen come out of this lake. it was 45 inches and i'm estimating at least 25 lbs. he/she was quickly measured and safely released.

balsam_muskie_jpg.jpg

yeah i know...i've read enough muskie boards to know what's coming. so i was hesitant to post the pic for fear of the comments already posted, but hey free speech right?

Yeah, i know, a thousand pardons for the way he held the fish.

the weight, i am absolutely certain it was at least 25lbs. i've caught a 19lb ski in balsam (my personal best) and it was noticeably smaller than my bros. also, my bro is 6'1" and 240-50lbs, depending on how much he ate that day, hehe.

anyway, it was a great day, the water got real ugly and so we had to get off w/ my small boat and all. we went out again on Tuesday and saw a few more boats, but we struck out. A beautiful day to be on the water for October 30th!!

as for where i do most of my fishing...i'm almost exclusively on balsam going usually for muskie or LMB or SMB. it's been a really fun lake to learn and i've only fished the northern half of it. it does get ugly when the wind picks up though. if the wind is really bad, then i just head out to little lake in barrie where it's always safe. not much of a walleye fisherman yet. and some ice fishing on cooks bay.

btw, i love the forum.

Yep a nice looking muskie and they do get pulled out of the net head first anyhow most of the time. Curious why the weight estimate...when it's hangin on a scale though...don't yah know for sure?

Your right Wayne but the fish comes out of the net with arm support where as holding it up on a scale puts all the weight at one point on the fish.

I hear ya Pete...I never weigh fish. Never have..never will...even though there's probably at least 4 scales in the boat that people have bought me for Xmas presents etc.

There's a lot that could be taught in this picture...but he is new..he is posting his success stories (like many never do around here) and he will learn like every one of us has from someone's scoulding, over time. I applaud him for sharing his fishing outing with us.

I'd never be lifting/holding a muskie with the bait still in it's mouth either (after watching what these squirrley Kawartha Lake's skis do), but like I said the lads at least reporting on success, and the other things come with time.

was out on balsam monday. we got on the water at 11 and the water/wind wasn't too bad. we arrive at our spot and w/in the first five casts, my bro had a muskie on. it was the biggest i've seen come out of this lake. it was 45 inches and i'm estimating at least 25 lbs. he/she was quickly measured and safely released.

Hey goteeboy,

May i ask you where on Balsam Lake you found the muskie?