Mixin Business with Pleasure

irishfield

I've had a guy bugging me for about a month to go over to Caesera to look at his wind damaged float plane. Was reluctant..since I don't get paid to do quotes, but then a light bulb went off ! Float planes = water = water access = ramp..... so I made it worth the trip and took the boat early this morning for the 2.5 hr drive.

bog1.jpg

Arranged for Lew to meet up with me, after I was done going over this floatplane...and we were told we could launch right at the float base. Well I quickly looked over the damaged airplane,

bog2.jpg

got rid of the prospective customer and then found we couldn't launch there as it was WAY too shallow as far out as we could see. Lew said he saw a ramp at the village pier and off we went. Not a bad ramp...had some issues getting the boat back on straight..but we managed. Off we went and I now fully understand why they call it the bog. Pretty choppy as we headed out...and it only got worse as the day went on with gusts on the ++ side of 50K

bog3.jpg

Didn't take us very long to find the first one...just a touch over 37" long. Cancer growth -lympysarcoma - on it that was pretty clean compared to others to come.

bog4.jpg

bog5.jpg

bog6.jpg

Lew supplied us a good lunch and I allowed him to eat his fully while I reeled in a few more fish ! LOL

bog7.jpg

Think this one was a twin to the 37. This one's right side was an absolute mess and bleeding sores etc.

bog8.jpg

It continued to get rougher...that ain't rain on the windshield.

bog9.jpg

This guy was just shy of 42"

boga.jpg

bogb.jpg

After it, and about 3 boat lengths forward of releasing it.....I water released another 36 to 38 " fish without the net. Just flipped the hook out while standing on the boarding platform.

Starting to get a tad rough...starting to look like Georgian Bay back on Sunday!

bogd.jpg

..and a short time later I get another one for a total of five muskie for the day for me!!

bogc.jpg

Now at this point I'm feelin bad for Lew...we even ran the same bait...same colour for quite some time and nodda for him. I took a break and he changed up hooks on the way back and within 10 seconds put this one in the boat to complete the day.

boge.jpg

What a GREAT way to mix business with pleasure, and who better to spend a day on the water with than Lew. Great guy and great company in the boat. Thanks for getting out there with me Lew and making a complete day out of my floatplane inspection on Scugog. Drove the 2.5hrs home...just backed the uncovered boat in the hangar and it started to POUR 2 minutes later. Perfect timing, after a perfect day.

Wayne

Edited by irishfield

LOL Joey...it was the last boat that was jinxed ! I had the stowmaster net last year and it didn't help in that boat. You'll be fine with the Frabil ....

Maybe I need to change my handle to Muskie Wayne...so I can join my bud Muskie Dan. Take the guy on a charter...catch him a fish and his head swells ! LOL :o:P:D:lol:

Twas a fun trip indeed Wayne and you definetely had the hot bait for the day. :thumbsup_anim: At one point, I was cleaning weeds off my bait and you got a fish, then released it and got the next one before I even got back in the water :lol:

It was Waynes 1st time on the bog and only a couple times for me, but I think we were both surprised at how rough that little lake became after the winds really started to build in the afternoon. The weeds were unbelievably thick too, everywhere, and I think we spent more time cleaning baits than fishing them. Still very healthy though, bright green and plenty of places to hold fish.

Don't know where all the fishermen were though, we spent 8 hours out there and saw a grand total of 2 other boats.....ya gotta luv that !!

Thanks again Musky Wayne, it was a blast, I always enjoy fishing with you, and anytime your lookin to mix up a bit of business & pleasure again, just gimme a call. ;)

Edited by lew

You found a way to turn a non paying estimate into something profitable :thumbsup_anim: Congratulations! It's always good to figure out a way to do that, the one thing I don't care for is running around the countryside for no pay and giving free estimates when it's my gas, time and wear and tear.

Both Lew and you saw this opportunity and lunged for it. Except for the weather it was as close to a perfect day as you could have hoped for...well maybe not so hot for Lew :whistling: LOL. Next time luck will be on Lew's side.

Great job out there guys! And you're welcome Wayne...not that Bly and I had any real chance of a muskie on Monday...LOL. I was trying to make sure I didn't sink the boat and I almost did that...haha.

It's good to see that lake produce...it'll probably be our home lake for a while...it's the closest lake to us and very convenient. We'll venture to others I'm sure as well.

Some nice looking muskies there...congrats to the two of you!

And the hits just keep on coming! :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats on a great day on the water fellas.

Wayne knowing Lew I can almost bet he didn't mind you out scoring him :D

Karma strikes again.

Free estimates Wayne.... thay's what I do best anymore :rolleyes:

Cheers

Very nice...and outfished Lew on Musky to boot! :lol: (That has to be some kind of record no?)

Gotta love how the windshield keeps all that spray off of you and the gear...such a sweet ride Wayne :)

Some great results on a pretty crumby day, weather-wise, nice fish!

Tony