Leader vs Non-leader

Billy - Curtiss

I recently read an illuminating article on the merits of running your line direct to your lures and/or rigs. Apparently this enables the lure to run more true resulting in more action. Since I fish for monster pike a fair amount, I'm a little hesitant but I think I'll give it a whirl nonetheless. Is there any consensus on this at all?

Edited by Billy - Curtiss

I have had bad luck with out a steel leader on if there is fish with teeth around, and the quality of some of them is also suspect. I haven`t tried any of the fluorocarbon ones and the stringease snaps look to be the best ones.

I have hooked a lot of bigger fish on bass tackle with no steel leader, not a lot of luck landing them. Just me but if I am intentionally fishing for a big pike or ski? Best to be prepared.

DEpends if you want to hook more fish or land more fish, its true line tied direct will make a lure run truer, but no mono,braid,or floro will take a direct bite from a toothy critter, therefore you lose more fish, with a leader the lure will react differently and possibly cause less strikes, but when you do hook up they will take the bite. After all is said and done I believe no one knows for sure if fish will shy away from a lure fished with a leader, after all most lures cause a reation bite, so with lures I dont think it will hurt at all. If fishing slow with bait maybe it might make a difference, but I doubt it, leaders have been used for a 100 years and always caught fish, but for some reason we now think fish have evolved to the point where they are smarter than they used to be. Or maybe its called good advertising

for the many Pike I have caught over the years I would say that they dont care if there is a leader. Musky are the same way if they want it then theywill come and get it.

Have you tried using Florocarbon leader materal tying it direct with a Uni-Uni knot? that might work?

In 2004-2005 I never used a leader while pike fishing. Lost 1 fish our of hundreds. I used 50lb powerpro. I was convinced that I could not catch those pike with a leader due to the change in action. This spring we made a big pike trip up north and I used leaders 100% of the time I was fishing for pike and lost 0 fish. We had several beasts over 40 inches and I was glad I had a fluro leader on. My fishing partner Jon lost a couple really nice fish while using 65lb Power pro and no leader, he took a couple of my leaders after that and never lost a fish.

We didnt notice any difference in the number of stikes or fish caught. As for the action of the lures, some lures produced an action I preferred while using a leader.

I'll never make another cast for a pike or musky without a leader for 2 main reasons

1. I dont want to ever loose a trophy fish becuase I felt a leader would provide less strikes

2. I dont want to kill a trophy fish becuase it decided to bite through my braided line and choked on my 10 inch lure (not to mention the cost of musky/pike lures is so high you dont wanna lose those lures!)

When all is said and done it comes down to fishing with 100% confidence, or 99% confidence...that 1% could be a fish of a life time - leader up!

Edited by mepps

Well mepps i think you hit that one on the head for sure !!!!!! :whistling::clapping: i think its a matter of confidence,over a matter of fear of losing a big trophy. i always end up catching muskies while fishing for walleyes and i know it happens alot everyear,but i dont everput on a leader,cause i think im going to catch a big one and i have caught several over 40,and 1 real big one closer to 50 i know i was lucky to have landed him on 8lb test while fishing for walleyes but,its how i prefer to fish for them...and when i do fish for muskies i have seldom used a leader???and im not sure why,prob cause im just used to it that way and i keep thinking that its affecting my lures action???? so its something i might think about next time i try to go after big pike or musky.....good topic thanks for bringing that up.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Edited by fishindevil