Island Marine, Scugog...under new MisManagement

johnnyb

OKay...was all set to do some last minute muskie fishing on Scugog. My go-to guys at WestShore, along with ALMOST everyone else, already had their boats out of the water for the year, but the guy over at Island Marine was still open. I call him up on Tuesday, a full five days before I need the boat, and he says "no problem". I asked if I should leave my name and phone number, he says "no, that's not necessary..when will you be here?" I tell him Sunday, between 1:00 and 2:00pm, he says "definitely not a problem, I'll be here". :thumbsup_anim: Okie doke! We round up the gear, the boys, fire up the pocket rocket and off we go to Lake Scugog....a short hour and a half drive (or so) from Brampton.

We pile out of the car, the marina is on the lee side of the island so it doesn't even look too bad out there and we are greeted with: "Oh, are you guys here to rent a boat? I only have one left, and it's broken" :dunno:

WOW! Good thing I called in advance!!!

Ahhhh well..lesson learned -- don't leave it so late in the year; don't go to Island Marine; get my OWN boat!

Rant complete. :sleeping_02:

~~~~Sorry bud for your troubles, but I've had nothing but good service from them. When I phish the Bog, I always launch there, deep ramp, shelter harbour, and once my battery was dead, they gave me a loaner for the day without cost, when a bolt came off my starter, loaned me the tools to put it back in place. Also has great coffee going if you just want to chat.

I second oldphart's sentiments. I've dealt with them two times recently and they have gone out of their way to make sure we were happy with the boat rental/launching. I was just there on Monday and he did mention that one of his boats had broken down the day before and that he had to go out and tow it back in...maybe you just hit them on a bad day.

When I was launching there, he came right out and when he found out it was my first ever launch with a trailer, he helped me get the boat in the water...and helped out when my motor wouldn't start.

Very friendly and chatty...I'll be giving them more business in the future for sure.

I rented from them a while back and had no problems. It was a choppy day and we only saw two other boats on the Bog but all was good. I did leave my name and number to hold a boat. Maybe they figured it would be a quiet day.

Would be nice if they could dredge their marina a bit so you don't get stuck in the mud but otherwise they were great. Nice new boats too!

Would be nice if they could dredge their marina a bit so you don't get stuck in the mud but otherwise they were great. Nice new boats too!

When I was speaking with him on Sunday, he did mention that he is trying to get permission to clean out much of the muck in the marina area.