Tournament Boat Your Opinions?

Minnow

Hey guys

Planning on selling my current boat in the Spring and getting a new boat.

Nothing wrong with my legend, I have had it for 4 years and no complaints its just not fast or big enough for fishing tournaments

I am planning on buying a new boat well actually my dad lol, I really wanted to get the Nitro Z9 but my dad said it is not a practical boat for the family and only seats 3 people. So then he suggested the Tracker Tundra 21 Fishing Team Edition. Which of these two boats would you guys recommend? This boat would be used for family outings to the cottage as well as bass fishing tournaments. Both of them would have the same motors which would most likely be a 250 or 275 mercury verado, so which boat is the best choice and is the verado better then the Optimax engine?

P.S Do most tournaments have a motor size limit at 250 HP? Thanks!

Here is my current boat the Legend

boat.jpg

Here is the Z9 Nitro a 21 ft bass boat (the one that I want)

Nitro9.jpg

Here is the Tracker Tundra 21 ft (the one that my dad recommended)

Tundra.jpg

I don't know much about tournaments, although I would like to join one day too.

But from seeing some of Misfish's postings, and a few others, maybe your boat would be good for those under 115hp ones?

just so you have a feel for them tourneys first?

not too sure,

best of luck to you.

kevin

Hey Minnow

I am by no means a boat expert but here's what I thought of the Z-9 I got to experience on Lake Simcoe.

Dual console with a 250 Pro XS Optimax. The 250Xs has loads of power to get across the lake in no time! The boat is very stable in all conditions. There is a ton of storage space for everything rod’s tackle built in cooler and garbage can. The front deck is huge loads of room to fish 2 guys on the front easily.

Are you going to fish bass tournaments? I would say of the 2 if your going for bass then get the Z-9. The Tundra would probably be better suited to fish bigger water with its hull design.

What model is the Legend you have and what year?

Thanks

Gregger

Edited by gregger27

I know I should feel out the tournament scene with my boat right now but my dad is planning to get a new boat next year anyways so I might as well get a boat that I can use for tournaments in the future. The only problem is that my dad wants a boat that he can use for the cottage as well and he said the Z9 is not practical for the family.

Like Roy says! If I could live last year all over again... I could save $40,000 ! I know of a 2007 2025Pro V - 275 Verado - 9.9 pro kicker and other toys for only $36,000 US on a custom trailer. That's about $34,700cdn right now...the 275 Verado new is $30,200 ALONE ! Now if I could just figure out where I saw it...might have been Pete's site as well...

Edited by irishfield

You guys are crazy...I dont think I want a boat that goes faster than my car....LOL.

If one of the uses outside of tourneys is family outings, then I think it's a no brainer....Tundra it is. That, and if it's your DAD who's paying for it, then do you really have a choice??? LOL

Now that I have a bit of time to reply properly. You made me droll after those pics,LOL

You say your father wants something for the cottage and you want to have something for the bass fishing tourney scene.

Well I have seen some real nice aluminum boats out there,big and small.

Heres what I would look at,and it would serve both conditions well.

The G3 boats are well made.

Crestliner. Our own Mart uses one and seems very sturdy.

Lund has a number of styles that would work well for both conditions aswell.

If your going to fish the slop and get down and dirty in the shallow stuff,well IMO, a bass boat is what you need,but if your fishing for the smallies then you be fine with what I have mentioned.There are so many choices out there.

If I may ask,have you driven these higher powered machines and do you think you could handle them? Just asking.

Blast off can get hairy. I know,thought I was doing ok then I hit a spot where I thought the boat was going for a nose dive. You will learn,like I did and best of luck to you and you father on the new purchase.

I believe that both Gary Parsons and Pete Maina have their 2007 Tundra 21's for sale. I think Pete's is about $37K US...that's like what???? $31K Canadian? :-)

Ha ha. They just rasied the toll price on the Michigan side of the Blue Water Bridge (Port Huron to Sarnia) from $2.50 to $2.75 because of the declining US dollar. All this thanks to Dubya.

Edited by Zib

Like Roy says! If I could live last year all over again... I could save $40,000 ! I know of a 2007 2025Pro V - 275 Verado - 9.9 pro kicker and other toys for only $36,000 US on a custom trailer. That's about $34,700cdn right now...the 275 Verado new is $30,200 ALONE ! Now if I could just figure out where I saw it...might have been Pete's site as well...

Wow! That's cheap. I wonder what's wrong with the boat? Accident maybe?

My choice would be the Ranger 620VS multi-species boat.

Ranger 620VS

Edited by Zib

Well, if your lookin for opinions, I'd say go for that big Tundra without a doubt.

I've seen Pete Maina's boat up close and personal, plus a few other big Tundras and their incredible boats and would serve both of your purposes very well. An excellent fishing boat, plus it'd also be a great family boat.

Bass boats are pretty & all and great for roaring around at 80 MPH and serving their main purpose, but if your lookin for a dual purpose ride, family & fishing, the Tunrda gets my vote.

since you'll need to keep the family in mind, i agree with everyone else and your father.

Tunda would be best suited for the family.

The tundra has way more space for you guys to bring around house hold things or you can evenhave people sitting on the deck inbetween the consoles, or on the rear deck too.

Where as with the bass boat, its just the 4 seats i see and its a massive deck at the front which seems to be useless from the family perspective.

If I were in your dad's position, I would look for a used boat in the states.

The Ranger 620/621 or Triton 215 X would probably be a very nice compromise boat for the whole family.

With the money you save buying in the states, you can maybe get your dad to buy you something like a used Nitro 700/750 DLX with a 115 Opti. Now that would be a sweet rig for the HP-restricted series at a very reasonable cost... If you look around, there are TONNES for sale in the states.

Charles

P.S. I can say without a doubt that my 20' bass boat is not at all a good family boat. The low gunwales and lack of cockpit area is a real concern as my little girl grows up. Will probably need a second boat soon. But at the same time, having competed at various levels in various types of rigs, I can also say without a doubt that if you have a bass boat you will not be handicapping yourself. It's nice to say the boat does not catch the fish, but with the same anglers in a bass boat versus a non-bass boat, well... I've been in that 'boat' and can tell you it does makes a difference.

Edited by charlesn

Thank You everyone for all the help

I think my dad will definately have the final say and I am starting to see that the Nitro Z9 is not the most practical boat for family use!

My dad was actually planning on buying a used boat in the States, he really likes the tundra and I think the only way I will get a Z9 is with my tounrnament winnings LOL jks!

Also you guys are right that it is not about the boat its about the fish, and I can catch fish right now and love my legend its just that its too small for our family especially since my grandparents are always out with us on family outings so my dad said we need a big boat with lots of power and I think he is going to go with the tundra after seeing it in action on the water.

Thanks again guys!

A boat that sits higher in the water catches more wind, makes boat control more of a problem on windy days, bass boats are low to the water because of this. Higher sides on big water probably safer. It helps some to have a motor big enough to get you around a lake in a reasonable amount of time. Do you need the biggest or fastest? More important to have the skills to locate fish and catch them once you get there.