trouble with new centrepin...

urbanangler1990

hey yall i tried my new setup yesterday, 13'6 akuma aventa with the crentrepin reel to go with it and i was having tuff time casting this thing, i couldnt get distance and the line was whilrling off the spool and wraping around the handle and nut that sticks out on the other side, i would just strip some line out and toss, thats how i was i having problems, anyone have any tips for me, would be apprectiated thnx

when I cast my left hand holds the line and I make sure it doesn't stop touching my hand, don't grab it thou...and with my right hand I kinda cup the reel unederneith so that line can't jump off....doesn't work all the time once your line twists all the time....but hope this helps...its how I do it. Good luck

Practice makes perfect. Pick a day when it's not windy to go out.

I found using heavier weights helped with the learning process.

If you're trying to do a pull cast or variant of the wallis cast, be smooth when pulling line off the reel and use a finger to lightly break the spool while it's spinning - if you don't, you might get a birds nest or line wrapping around the reel foot. I actually never really learned how to side-cast so I can't help you there.

Hold the reel still with the pinky finger on your rod hand.

Use your other hand to pinch the line then make an "O" loop with your thumb & first finger. Face the palm down. Keep your line hand beside the reel the whole time thru the cast.

In other words..your line hand acts like an extra rod guide about one foot away from the axle of your reel.

Just sweep cast the rod from the right side if you're holding the rod in your right hand.

Make short casts until you get the hang of it. Stop the line before it hits the water to keep from tangling up.

Edited by danbo

The Center Pin is the Equalizer. You can challange a drift for 50' play it from begining to end in one pass. With the line spooling of so slowly or with a tap of your finger slow up the float to keep the pait a few inches from the bottom. You can retrive the line with a Pull and a slap of the real. But most of all its the fight. Its silent and unforgiving... any mistake you do and the fish will go free... you let it run to much and its gone free... you hold it back to much and its gone free... You control everything, no mechanical drag just how much preasure you put on the reel as its running... you lose the fish its your own falt... just try try try... or was that cry... Peace Ken

What can possibly go wrong with a centerpin?? I have TWO.....one at each end of my clothesline.

I guess it's time for me to hide now....

Definately have to try to cast more than 20' to see what can go wrong for a newbie on the pin,...the first few outings (or season) can be very frustrating especially while trying to fight a fish with a birds nest at your feet...lol...give it a try sometime Roy,..you might be surprised,...PS,..makes the fight on any type of fish that much more challenging and rewarding!!! IMHO of course