More Aquarium help needed

Uncle Buck

Green water is healthy water. I'm not sure what algae disks are but I'm sure there're adding algae to your water. The pleco will eat the algae that grows on the glass and other surfaces but the stuff that colors your water has to be filtered out. I'm not sure the size rating for your filter but in time the algae will be filtered out and the excess will start to die. The water should cloud up again from the dead algae. In a few days it should clear and if you don't overfeed again it should line out. I think you were overfeeding but I'm not sure how much so 1 green/ cloudy cycle may take care of it. Do not disturb the bottom layer, vacuum the bottom but don't go into the substrate at all. This is where the algae bloom is coming from and where the good bacteria will eliminate the excess algae and eventually clear the water. PM me if you have any problems.

water is tap water with big al's conditioner...

water changes - haven't done one since last monday (oct 22) when i installed the new filter ( aquaclear50)

p_120114_12790S.jpg

i am using carbon and i am using a phosphate remover instead of the bio-max that it comes with

no plants yet

food is hikari algae discs

pPETS-3756108t400.jpg

pellets are laguna goldfish and koi pellets

pPETS-3761903t400.jpg

UB

stop the algea discs for a while (or all together in my opinion)

Plecos aren't really algea eaters although they get classed in the fish stores in with that type of fish.

I had very good success feeding mine sliced zucchuni. Put a slice in a large paper clip to make it sink. remove it when fish do not focus on it, feed again in 2 days.

Once the tank gets up and running (1-2 weeks) the normal algea build up and any excess food will be enough to maintain the plecos between feeding periods

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/s...?article_id=294

If it's mine I'd use RO water to start with. Some guys get away with using it, but since you're having issues I'd go bottled for a while. I know it's a bit of a pain but if you start with crap you just have to remove it (if you can). The water conditioner will neutralize the chlorine, but won't take out all the other junk you're adding (in the tapwater) that cause algae outbreaks not to mention some nasty chemicals, pollutants and heavy metals which once in the system are almost impossible to remove. The carbon's a great idea and the phospahte remover's also a step in the right direction, but plants do it naturally. I've never used the "Goldfish and Koi food" but if I had to guess I'd bet it's pretty high in fish meal and phosphates. If you use a lower phosphate flake like "Nutrafin Max" you'll be adding less into the water. I personally think the Hikari Algae Wafers are decent. They don't seem to dissolve either, which ia a good sign. My other advice AGAIN is to put plants in there. The plants will compete with algae for light and nutrients and the pleco if it's one of the smaller exotics (zebra,gold nugget etc.) it shouldn't destroy them. I guess try a couple and see. Maybe do a little research. I think there are some types that they're at least less likely to eat. I think you'll be fine, but if all else fails you may have to use corys instead.

Dump the tank, scrub it all down with RYDYT and rinse very thoroughly. Dump the filter components and rinse out the sponge with tap water until clean then let it dry right out and rinse again. Set up your tank for at least two weeks with new filter components before slowly adding a few fish at a time. Do water changes every week about 30%-50%. I wouldn't have added a pleco for 6 months but now you have em so chuck it in there and feed em the wafers about 1 a week. Good luck. Keep reading about the quality of your water and research as much as your brain can handle, then forget about it all and just go with the flow so to speak.

I think it's an algae bloom, not cycling because the tanks been running for four months already. Chances are it should have cycled by now, it's just the bioload is more than the tank is equipped to handle. It takes quite a while to build a stable enviroment and even then, when things are going smooth and you think you have it mastered, someone seems to throw a wrench into the spokes. If it was mine I'd do 50% water changes every day for a few days and then every couple days for a couple weeks. Do at least five gallons, vacuum it out and when replacing use bottled or RO water at the same temp and when you dump it in redirect the flow with your hand (or plate... whatever) so not to completely stir up the remaining crap on the bottom. Keep running the carbon and phosphate remover and keep your filters clean. Feed very little right now. If it was mine I probably wouldn't feed anything for four or five days and small amounts until this is under control. As far as the plants go, I'd grab something simple like a potted sword and see whether your plecos a good candidate for plants. If it's there in a week or two, you're probably okay. Either way, you'll figure it out. I know this sounds like alot of work, but once everythings in balance it'll be sooo much easier.

Edited by kennyman