Freezing fish

HUKDONFAWNIX

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank everyone that posts their reports. There are a lot of talented anglers on this board.....I enjoy reading every one of your reports as well as learning from them.

I have a few questions about freezing fish.......What is your preferred method of freezing fish? Should I add water to the freezer bag? How long can I keep my fish in the freezer before it's not good to eat or freezer burnt?

Thanks.

I add water too the freezer bag and the fish seems to keep pretty well for a year. Nothing beats fresh fish though, but the fish I've had in the freezer for a year still tastes good. I just cut the edges that got freezer burn on them.

1)Put about 6" of water in your sink.

2)Put your fillets in a plastic bag.

3)Put bag under water to get all the air out and use a twist tie to close the bag.

4)Put your bag into another bag and fill that one with water.

5)Put in the freezer.

I used to add water in my bag with fillets but I found that for some reason the fillets tasted like water a bit. This way the water is not in contact with your fish but it still protects it from freezer burn.

Or get a vacuum sealer.

....I honestly can't remember the last time I froze fish. Reason being I just prefer them fresh and if that means eating fish a couple of nights in a row then I do. And to be honest I'm lucky enough to have kids that love fresh fish and don't complain if I'm lucky enough to catch a few meals worth.

But that of course does not answer your question. So if I have to freeze them then I freeze them in water (I used filterd water, no chlorine). With softer fleshed fish (ie: whitefish) I found that soaking them in a weak brine solution for several hours then freezing them in the brine gave me a much firmer and tastier fish when thawed. It's lso a good idea to allow them to thaw slowly in the fridge rather than at room temperature.