Steelhead line

xrap

This must be my 10th time changing my line this year. The last line I had was 6lb raven for my steelhead rod, and it did no do to well. It broke off alot on rocks and alot of the times it would leave little knicks in the line so wehn you did get a fish it broke instanly. So yesterday I went to Bass Pro And decided to go with a tougher line. I went with PLine cxx 10lb test, black light visability- hi-vis flourescent. I grabbed the line quickly and just threw it in the basket which was a mistake because I didn't take my time to read it. Now that I know it's hi-vis I'm worried that I won't get any hits . The Dia.0.35mm but I have a big reel so I fit almost all 300 yards of it. Just wana know if anyone ever used this line for steelhead or any expert steelheaders would like to give some advice about the line?

I'm personally not a huge fan of running hi-vis under my float. Based on that alone I wouldn't use it.

Can't go wrong with 8lb Maxima Ultrageen. I'm also a fan of 12lb Raven mainline in dark green (about the same diameter as 8lb Maxima), and tried, tested and true: Ande.

Edited by solopaddler

I use Raven Mainline 6lb or 8lb on all my reels for everything and haven't had any problems with it. Other than it will cut on zebra mussels but then again pretty much any line will do that.....

I am seriously thinking about getting some Cajun Redline though. One of the steelheaders I know used it and it works pretty well for him?

I use XT 4lb for leaders though because I just cannot find a fluorocarbon that will hold a palomor knot for the hook then a trilene knot to the swivel.... I only tried 5 kinds though last year so maybe I ought to spend another 100 bucks this year to see all my fish just break off... NOT!!!! So I know how upsetting it is when line keeps breaking.

Cant go wrong with Maxima 8lb for main line,..I like the Ultragreen due to where I fish,...never had a problem,...had my last spool on for an entire season,..landed plenty of steelies and nooks!! If your eyesight isnt that good go with the chamelion!!!

Sad they stopped with the Iron Silk by Berkley, it was prolly my favorite main. Though as others have replied, the Maxima Ultra Green, is certainly the best IMO. Might seem to kink on ya from time to time, but find a river mouth and let out a good 200yrds with a 10gm float for weight or pull on the line, this helps to wet the new line, and also the drag of the float against the current will provide the line to get more snug on the reel.

If you want a Flouro lead that has stood the test of time for me and many others I know, you simply cannot!!! Beat Drennan. Expensive yes, worth it? No questions!!!!

Best hands down lead I have simply ever used.

F.F

I've been using 8lb Raven (green and light grey) on my centrepins the last 4 or so years and I've never had any problems with it. Anything under 8lb test (in any line) and I find I get some serious line-dig after fighting a big fish - I think it's because of the stretch. This probably won't be an issue if you use a spinning reel.

I use fluorocarbon leaders made by Scientific Angler angler and rate them highly.

Went to crappy tire to check it out since it is on the way home from school and they had it. So I picked up a spool of 8lb test(ultra green) paid 14.99 for 220 yards. Just spooled my rod and I haven't used the line yet but I love it. Maybe I'll get to test it out this weekend , thansk for the advice guys!!!!