Surfing the Waves in The Bay of Quinte Saturday

Mike the Pike

Headed down the 401 once again to my favorite fishing hole The Bay of Quinte.

Stayed in Lancaster Ontario at my good friend Kenny's cottage very close to Lake St.Francis on the St.Lawrence

I have never got up this early to go fishing ever.

We got up at 3:10am which I believe is usually last call in the bars in Quebec.

So anyway I got up way before Lew O'clock :sleeping_02:

IMG_0136_1.jpg

Next was a quick stop for gas and a 4am visit to Timmies.

IMG_0143_1.jpg

Next was the 3 hour drive from Lancaster to Picton.

We were on the water at 8am and I think we secured the only 2 remain parking spaces in Picton Harbour

2 of our Buds who travelled with and Dave from Newmarket Danny from Brossard .Dan tried out his new roof on his Princecraft complete with closed in front no eyes for them but Dave landed a 15 pound sheeps head.

IMG_0145_1.jpg

Next we met up with these guys my Cousins Percher(Dan)and his Brother Brent ya full roof

and propane heater WOOSIES :P Am I jealous hell yes I am.

IMG_0153_1.jpg

My chauffeur for the day my friend Kenny oh and a nice shot of that quiet running Mercury 4stroke :whistling:

After washing lures for 2 hours I finally got this girl weighing 8 pounds even and 28 inches long.

Unfortunately after 30 minutes of trying to revive her she died so we had no choice but to keep her for consumption.

IMG_0151_1.jpg

IMG_0149_1.jpg

It was Kenny's turn he was hoping for a big eye but turned out to be this 11lb sheeps head.

IMG_0157_1.jpg

That concluded out day a 4pm it was just too rough out there on the Bay.

IMG_0161_1.jpg

IMG_0162_1.jpg

We did see Tracker in his new Islander cruising up the reach sheltered from the Quinte elements.

tried to wave to ya Don but you were cruising to fast.

This is the only shot I got of Don in the Islander but its just a speck.

IMG_0160_1.jpg

IMG_0174_1.jpg

This is a shot of the full moon when we arrived at Kenny's cottage at 8pm the moon over hanging

Lake St.Francis.

A helluva a drive for just the day for 2 fish but I had to get out there.

Once again the lucky Lure of choice was the Yozuri hydro minnow 7 inches long.

Looking forward to November at Merlands G2G.

Now I really must go to bed I am really beat from the pounding of the waves.

Mike the pike

Nice Eye there Mike! We got skunked and like you we headed off the water around 4 - waves were unreal! Sorry that I didn't see you - but I was looking! Its amazing how many of those funny lookin' yellow jumpsuits were out there! - lol. I was monitoring channel 72 on the marine radio listening for fellow OFC'ers but didn't hear from anyone.

might go back down there again next weekend if the winds die down - just to far from Niagara to run down there if they haven't subsided.

I know what you mean about the early start - 2:45 for me - and now I am beat!

Congrats again on the Eye - nicely done!

Don

I have never got up this early to go fishing ever.

We got up at 3:10am which I believe is usually last call in the bars in Quebec.

So anyway I got up way before Lew O'clock :sleeping_02:

Jeeeeez Mike, the days half over by 3:00 AM :lol:

Thanks for the fish'n story, sounds like you & the rest of the crew had an excellent day on Quinte. That's one body of water that can definetely get very nasty when the wind blows up and some times you just have to call it a day.

You had a long day but well worth it !!

Awesome report there Mike! In the second last pic it certainly looks nasty out there! were you guys rigging or using planers??

Gerritt.

[/quote

Gerritt like Don said that was during the calm period at 4pm when we came back from the cement plant some rollers had to be 4 and sometimes 5 footers.Before we got to the cement plant crazy Kenny had his Lund fully trimmed up and over 3 footers my body was taking a beating and my head was moving like a bobble head.At one point we were air born hitting a big roller .When we called it a day at the cement plant it was pure hell for the first five minutes I am sure close to five foot waves.

We were using planer boards and I almost lost one of my offshore boards that would not stay on cause of the waves.Thanks too 2 nice guys in a tiller Legend I was able to relocate by planer board .I decided to use the church tackle board and just flatline with the other.I caught the walleye while flatlining with the big Yozuri Hydro minnow with a 1oz snap weight 25 feet ahead of the lure.We were not marking any fish on the sonar when the fish hit.

Despite the tough conditions it was a great birthday present I am 42 today.

Gerritt this was the worst day of wave action I have seen so far on the BOQ.

:Gonefishing:

Edited by Mike the Pike

Mike thanks for the info! 5 footer's jesus... I would have been a little nervous to say the least!!! I just picked up two Church Boards... are they any good? cost me 70 bones!! ouch :wallbash: anything I need to do to them change the clips etc?? thinking they would be good for braided lines... your thoughts? I also ordered two Daiwa 47LC's for 90.00 CDN Each from a local tackle shop.. cant wait to get em and spool em!

Thanks again for the reply to my questions!

Ps.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Gerritt

Edited by Gerritt