portable hut question

FISHINGNUT

Has any one here used a tent for a ice hut? I have an old tent I was thinkig of cutting a few holes in the floor and I was wondering the pros and cons over buying an actual ice hut.I would like to get into ice fishing a little more seriosly this season.I have all the tackle and rods I also purchased a vexilar in the spring on sale and have a hand auger and a portable heater. I dont like to stand out on the ice and I dont like the lack of mobility of renting a hut from an operator.So I have been shopping around for huts and a gas auger but it is a lot of money to spend especially with the lack of ice over the last couple of seasons.Also what would be a good size gas auger to buy.Is 6" sufficiant for pike walleye and white fish? Last year I hooked into a pike and couldnt get it threw the hole,I know thats an Isolated case but whats a good all round size? Thanks

Spend the money you will save on a portable hut on a decent 10" power auger. The tent will suffice for this year but you should plan to fight and struggle with the windy days. Look for a portable or build your own for next year. I too have had the misfortune of not being able to get a fish up thru the hole. A very monstous Pike in Nippissing a few years back had the better end of the line on me. Had him to the hole three times but failed on all attempts and plans to get him thru the ice, estimated the size around 20-22 lbs high 40's to low 50's". What a fish. Good luck on the hard stuff. B)

I think a tent wouldn't be able to hold up to the winds on lake in winter time cause they are too light. The material isn't heavy enough to hold up in the wind. I can blow away if its not secured good on the ice. I have heard of lawn chairs being blown across the ice before also.

You're better off with a real ice hut. Its thicker material will hold up and block the wind and with its heavier weight should be about to stand the winds.

If you get yourself a good set of ice screws and make sure you reinforce the corners it will (should) hold up just fine .. the main issue is that you will want to stretch your legs (believe me) and in a traditional tent this can often be a problem ... but there are lots of portables that look just like a tent without a floor (including the one I use) so I see no reason it wont work.

The ones that come stock with this hut are by FAR the best I have ever seen .. just never tried to buy the screws separately ...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/4-Person-Eastman-Ice-Cu...1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought the 2 man unit last season and while it was a little smaller than I would have liked ... it was TOTALLY secure in the wind... even in the big winds of Muskoka

Edited by camillj

I ve done it a 100 times and have failed about 10 times because of the winds... but i've figured it out. fishin' in the open on lake Nipissing gets to be very very windy..

I've made 2x4 subframes on hinges that the tent sits on they are foldable and pretty light..

i then spike the subframe to the ice.. this helps prevent the tent from freezing to the ice and tearing when it's time to pack up..old canvas tents with metal poles seem to work best.

you can make your subframe a little longer at the ends so that the tent poles can sit into pre drilled holes.. took me a few tries to figure it out...now tie a rope to the subframe and you can pull it anywhere ya want. can even make skis for it... a pair of X country would do.

when you cut your tent floor leave at least 10" around the walls ... fold some tuck tape over the edges of your cut .. helps to prevent fraying... :Gonefishing:

I wouldn't fuss with a tent, been there before and it was ugly. Keep your 6-inch auger for this year buy yourself a portable hut you will really appreciate it. Then next year treat yourself to a 10-inch gas auger! A combination of the two and you won't want to fish out of a boat again!!

Thanks for all the input guys .By the sounds of it I can get away with the tent but it can be a pain.I am not a patient person and I want to be mobile so I think a hut would be better for me.I would rather spend my time fishing not farting around with setting up a tent.I have been watching E bay and maybe I can get a good deal on a used auger and hut for what I would pay new for just one

Well couldnt sleep last night and was surfing ebay around 2am came across a 3hp 8" eskimo power auger.Decided to throw a $2.oo higher bid then the last guy .Woke up this morning I now own a power auger .

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/Jam...rent=b9e6_1.jpg

Edited by FISHINGNUT