Winterizing boat question??

danc

Tomorrow I'll be putting away the boat for the winter. Part of this annual ritual involves adding fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank and running the engine long enough so that the stabilizer gets into the carbs. My boat is a Lund and it has a built in fuel tank under the floor near the front of the boat. I never know how long I should run the boat to make sure that the stabilizer gets to the motor. The motor is a 60 hp 4 stroke Merc by the way, so of course it uses very little fuel. I'm guessing that the gas line from the tank to the motor is about 10 feet long. I alway intend to add the stabilizer on my last outing of the season, but I never do. :whistling: So now I must run it through the system with ear muffs. I know that there's no exact answer to this, but what's your best guess guys? I'll probably be running it at about 1500 rpm.

Yah..about that..at 1500 you're probably buring .8 GPH if it's a 4 stroke. 10 minutes would be about .13 gallons and I'd think that would cover the fuel feed line and carbs fairly well. 15 minutes would guarantee it.

I've got three bottles of Stabil in the Lund...just gotta remember to dump it in while fishing BOQ next month.

Yah..about that..at 1500 you're probably buring .8 GPH if it's a 4 stroke. 10 minutes would be about .13 gallons and I'd think that would cover the fuel feed line and carbs fairly well. 15 minutes would guarantee it.

I've got three bottles of Stabil in the Lund...just gotta remember to dump it in while fishing BOQ next month.

Now there's the answer that I've been looking for. Complete with facts and figures. I knew that you'd come through Wayne. Thanks my friend.

I run stabilizer year round. That takes care of the winterizing.

MAIN reason is because you never know how much "gasahol" you are gonna get at the pumps these days.

Did a lot of reaearch on this & consensus is that best to add all year round so you don't pick up as much water or have the alcohol turn acidic. Do the research & you will be amazed!!

It is too late for you now but I would get a 5 gallon can & run the fuel pump until stabilised fuel is there(in can) & then run into engine.That way you KNOW it is there.

FT

first i take it its a inboard,,if so is it carburated,,stabil is not really for the carbs but to stabalize your fuel over a period of storage,get a can of fogger run your engine while spraying fogger in your carbs,slowly till eventually engine quits,do this after everthing is done in the winterize process first,,hope it helps

I run stabil or seafoam in my tank year round, I figured that would take care of winterizing right?? We never know when will be the last time we use the rig for the season, it will get cold then sometime in Nov or Dec it will warm and we will get out for a couple of days. Lake doesn't usually freeze.

Sometimes it sits for about 6-8 weeks without running but that is usually the longest.