Question for the folks with the high end cameras

dsn

Have 160 gig hard drive and it was getting full, so I took a spare 60 gig I had from another comp and added it. Now that 60 gigs is full but I got 60 gig free on my 160. Should be good for a while. I also burn all my pics onto DVD's in case my comp or hard drives ever crash.

in my huge harddrive lol......actually its not that big, its only 160 gig and if I need more space I'll buy an external one. My camera is only 6 megapixel so my files arent nearly as big as some of the people out there.

Oh ok. don I seen some of your amzing photos and I was wondering it would be a shame to delete some great pics. Some of the files are like 2000 pixels. Thats huge. I guess I'll burn some of my pics too. But should it go on a dvd or Cd?

dsn

Edited by dsn

Have 160 gig hard drive and it was getting full, so I took a spare 60 gig I had from another comp and added it. Now that 60 gigs is full but I got 60 gig free on my 160. Should be good for a while. I also burn all my pics onto DVD's in case my comp or hard drives ever crash.

Thanks for the tip.

i am a little stubborn with my workflow.... view, delete and then edit... if the pic isn't of good quality (each pic is 10MB- yes i said MEGABYTE) it gets tossed as i'm usually just not happy with it and no amount of reviewing will allow me to enjoy it.... got a 250GB HD that's filling up quickly :D

I store mine on my lap top's hard drive and periodically back them up on CDs and a portable harddrive. Some day I'll sort through them to reduce the space taken up by keeping just the good shots!

I store mine on my lap top's hard drive and periodically back them up on CDs and a portable harddrive. Some day I'll sort through them to reduce the space taken up by keeping just the good shots!

The only problem I have with storing on DVDs and CD's is I guess doing the math that will add up to the maxium photos it will hold (or how many pics which I know depending on the size). Cause I guess you can't change anything once you have your files on CD or DVDs right? They don't allow editing. True?

You can get CDs (DVDs - not sure?) that are re-recordable - ie you can keep adding stuff until the limit is reached - but they cost more.

But I'm not sure of the qualityis it rewritten over. Cause I tired burning a fishing video on a re-writeable DVD the first time. Then I wantted to edit something and had to re-write over the same DVD.. the quality was so bad the second round I trashed the DVD. The first copy of the video to the dvd was fine. Re-writing over it ruined everything.

dsn- The problem is not with the DVD's/ CD's, your problem was the way you went about it. You should of saved the project (the editing process of the video you were making). You burned the end product on DVD and then when you redid it, you redid the end product and not the editing process. If you saved the edited process, you would of just had to open it up again and make any changes and then burn the new end process. It would have to be on a new DVD mind you as once a DVD is burned, it cannot be reburnt, unless it is a DVDRW (re-writable). Hope that was clear enough to understand.

Edited by Deano