What tools do you take?

ccmtcanada

If your planning a trip through northern Ohio e-mail me and I will give you my number. I know a little about repairs, and don`t work so usually I am available. Can`t do much except guide you through what you might need to do.

I have tools and stuff around to help. AAA is a good idea. Canadian auto club? My plan will tow my car like 100 miles. If your vehicle can`t be fixed quickly I a room to leave it.

Anyhow, we are going to pick up the trailer tomorrow and then we are heading off to Hamilton to pick up the boat. I'll be buying safety chains with S hooks and a strap to hold the boat in place.

Princess Auto or Canadien Tire often have ratchet strap kits on sale, great to secure your boat to the trailer. Its frightening how many boats are bouncing around while being towed, not good for boat either. Ratchet straps on transom tie downs and bow eyelet are all you need, easy to hook-unhook at ramp also.

edit-Princess Auto latest flyer has 4 peice ratchet strap set on sale starting Tuesday for 12.99

Edited by Zamboni

Best you can do is a zip lock bag.

Exactly what I do Wayne, photcopy the papers, put em in a ziplock and tape it to an inside compartment of the boat. I was stpped by the OPP twice this summer and both times the coppers said that was the best way to do it.

Always accessible and always dry.

The newer vessel licenses coming out of Services Canada are printed on a lazer printer with absolutely no signatures. Can't tell the difference between a photo copy and original. The older ones had signatures..but I've shown damp/runny copies of them to the OPP as well in both my Glastron and steel work boat without incident. I only carry photocopies of vehicle ownership in our trucks/cars and it's legal. There was someone here on OFC that claimed he was charged showing a copy and had to go to court to show the original to have the fine waved. I think he just found an officer that was PMS'ng or he'd ticked him off....or if I remember correctly he had the copy laminated...and that's a NO NO

Edited by irishfield

According to the OPP this summer, photocopies are perfectly legal and totally acceptible.

I will add this as it pertains to cars... if you carry copies of your registration, make sure you have both sides of the document. Your permit sticker is on the back of your registration. The only document you can not use a photocopy for is your insurance pink slip. You must have the original on hand.

-Brian

Because it's easy to hide defects in forged documents by laminating over top of them..based on technology we had a decade or so ago to do so. Now that you can scan, photoshop, etc you can make what ever you want for a document (like temporary paper boaters cards), so laminating may not be such a big deal,,,but someone here on OFC was charged for his copied/laminated vessel licence last year and had to go to court with the original to have the charge withdrawn. I have photocopies in nothing but a zip lock bag in our steel work boat. It's just thrown in the bottom of the rubbermaid container that we store our lifejackets, rain coats and safety supplies in. The inks a bit runny after a few years of getting moist from condensation etc...but OPP didn't have an issue with it as late as first week of September this year. I always have a spare photocopy in the cottage and home in file for when/if it can't be read anymore.

Edited by irishfield

My wife recentely applied for a new Birth Certificate and it came by Purolator last week, and it's just a paper document.

I'm like you Wayne, I've had my small, laminated, wallet sized card forever.

Life used to be so much simpler.....