What tools do you take?

ccmtcanada

As many of you know, bly and I have bought a used boat, had a trailer hitch installed on our vehicle and purchased a brand new trailer. The used ones I saw were in rough shape to say the least so we decided to buy new.

Anyhow, we are going to pick up the trailer tomorrow and then we are heading off to Hamilton to pick up the boat. I'll be buying safety chains with S hooks and a strap to hold the boat in place. I'll also have on hand some heavy stuff to help in distributing the weight inside the boat if necessary. I have the proper tongue weight for my vehicle and trailer and will bring a bathroom scale to test it out once the boat is loaded.

After getting the motor serviced, we're hoping to get it out on the water for at least one trip before winter.

My question is, what tools do you take on board while out on the water in case you need to make some adjustments or emergency repairs? I know to have a spare plug on hand, so that'll go in our boat tool bag....what else have you needed and take with you wherever you go?

Thanks!

small metric socket set in a plastic case a screw driver with multple heads a ocket and rachet to take of the trailer tire spare bearing cotter pins for prop and trailer bearing needle nose pliers flashlight spare tire on rim for trailer

just a few things

sheet spare plugs

Edited by BITEME

Usually if the prop is held on by a nut, you need a large sizer socket than comes in most tool kits.Mercury sells a FLOATING prop nut tool that works great.With the trailer safety chains remember that they have to clip on with some sort of locking provision now.The multipurpose tool kit and prop wrench are all I have ever had and never used either. :D:D

vance

Cliff before you even think of heading out on the water, make sure your lug nuts are the same size as your car if not get the correct size tire iron.

As for on the water... spare pull rope, small flat scredriver 2-3 small twist clamps, sparkplug socket, spare spark plugs wire nuts and electrical tape as well you should already have scissors needle nose and side cutters in your tackle bag

Cliff I know you said you were getting a new trailer but make sure you have a good spare tire and the right lugnut tool. I always carry a small hydraulic jack and a couple pieces of wood (two by whatever) to aid in changing a flat tire. Nothing worst than getting a flat and not being able to change out real quick. Another thing don't forget a trailer lock!

Hope you enjoy your new ride!

Cheers

Edited by Whopper

Get yourself a "Dry Box" and tether it to the boat while you're out. Place your boat documents, wallets, camara and tools inside. The gasket on the lid will keep moisture out in poor weather and allow it to float in the event of an emergancy. CTC has them for around $20.

***CAUTION*** They are not spill proof!

-Brian

"small metric socket set in a plastic case a screw driver with multple heads a ocket and rachet to take of the trailer tire spare bearing cotter pins for prop and trailer bearing needle nose pliers flashlight.

Couple good suggestions.

Cliff, I keep a blue rubbermaid with a few extras that are not just tools, but, things that could save my buttocks if and when I'm boating somewhere where people may not be around.... (Ummmm, that'd be all the time)

Socket set yep. Screw driver with multiple heads.. yep. Cotter pins and plugs for sure.

I also keep a hammer in case I need to hammer my prop back into shape. A big knife for shredding wet wood away down to the dry stuff, amongst other things. Waterproof matches. Two flashlights, large and small, with extra AA's for small. A first aid kit. An extra large tensor bandage too. I carry a length of rope, several bungee cords, string and duct tape. Also have a tarp and flourescent orange safety blanket for makeshift overnight shelter. A large clear garbage bag to be a second rain suit if the one I'm wearing ends up soaked. There's some dry paper to help with a fire, and, a roll or two of TP. I have extra socks and gloves. A fiberglass and epoxy resin kit for patching holes in the boat. There's a spare prop. I keep a second pull cord and some 4 stroke oil handy. A bucket and bailer are always in the boat.

Where you fish most of the time, you could probably skip most of that and just take a cell phone.

Edited by Moosebunk

If you do most of your fishing local, a cell phone, first aid kit with crazy glue and just let someone know when you are supposed to be back. Also the safety kit from canadian tire including flares.

As mention, the s hooks on trailers don't cut it any more, and a lock for the ball latch and your hitch so no one takes it from your car.

First time out find a small body of water to do all your testing on. I have also heard that the police are asking for boaters license, ownership and insurance.

Good luck and have fun.

Get yourself a "Dry Box" and tether it to the boat while you're out. Place your boat documents, wallets, camara and tools inside.

I learned to keep a dry bag handy when I was out on the ocean in small boats. Might be nice to swap out the wet clothes for dry during a shore lunch break, or to keep the extra coat dry till you need it, and to protect the cameras etc in a heavy rain. I got a good heavyweight cordura duffle style at an outdoor gear store but there are smaller cheap models available although they're not as durable. Mine's nice cuz it holds a towel plus spare clothing, my camera, my wallet and a sandwich or two. Ripping through huge ocean waves in a little sixpack can be really really wet, and the bag floats if you dump the boat, or as in my case gets bounced/washed out the open transom. And it's a handy place to keep a basic toolkit dry so you don't have to be wiping them down all the time to keep them rust free.

I realize space can be at a premium on a tinny so a smaller bag might suit better.

JF

I have also heard that the police are asking for boaters license, ownership and insurance.

Cliff's old enough not to need the boat card for now...but yes Vessel license is a mandatory carry on a boat over 9.9 HP and failure to show is a $300 or so $ fine. As for insurance..boats are the last thing in Ontario that this isn't mandatory for. Most house policies cover up to 10 HP for liability and some go to 18. If you are higher HP than your policy wording you can have it amended for minimal $'s if you only want liability. If you want theft..more dollars. My cottage policy only costs me $162 extra to have $6000 coverage for theft on the 25HP Honda and liability insurance. Peace of mind if you have a mess moment.

for the boat.

tools... small tool kit .. pliars, little wrenches and screwdrivers..hammer...prop nut wrench.

spare pull cord

plugs & plug wrench

spare drain plug.

duct tape.

wire and spare fuses, navigation light bulbs.

TECH STEEL...made by northland part # 16002 epoxy putty ,will fix a tear or a big enough leak

in about 5 minutes about 6.00$ per tube. it's saved the day for me twice now.

and yer emergency kit.

Trailer;

i bring a spare hub, pre- packed with grease.. costs 28.00 $ @ any Benson comes with all you need to change on the side of the road.

Spare Tire ..and matching lug wrench.

hydraulic 1 ton jack.. ..

bulbs.

piece of 2x8 to rest the jack on .

portable compressor..

:Gonefishing:

...you said "S" hooks on the safety chains,, i'd replace them with a clevis ..

cross yer safetychains this acts as a cradle and prevents the trailer from nosediving into the pavement in the event of it falling off the ball.

good luck...happy fishin'

I always seem to not have the one tool that I need at the time. LOL

spare paddle, I know it's the law, but always make sure you have your spare paddle. Sometimes you (or your kids) take it out to use in a canoe or another boat, and you only realize it once it's needed.

Also a good idea to get the boat to shore to start working on the motor, you drop a tool, part or bolt in deep water and your not gonna be able to retrieve it.

Enough tools above to sink the Queen Mary....and don't forget make sure your safety chain "S" hooks have a snap lock to hold them on. open ended S hooks ar no longer legal for towing.

OK .. not sure if its just me showing my age ... but the FIRST thing I add to any boat is a shear pin which I tape to the tiller with black electrical tape ... first time you touch bottom its gone and you're stranded .... I ALWAYS also carry a long nail and nippers in my tackle box(which could in a pinch be cut to size to be used as another shear pin for someone elses boat) ... I guess the newer motors dont use them anymore :)

Aside from the 'usual' safety items - like 100' rope, flashlight, whistle, 2-way radio I also make a spark plug wrench and a small piece of emery cloth a ALWAYS items ... then at least I can pull a plug and 'clean' it in a pinch ...WD40 also adds a certain je-ne-sais-quois for starting cranky/damp motors

Pull ties of different lengths and size.

A length of wire.

Butt connectors.

Spade connectors.

Medium vise-grips.

6" pipe wrench.

Stripper-crimper pliers.

Length of fuel line and connectors.

Electric tape and duct.

Crazy glue and epoxy.

Hose clamps. From small to big enough to fit over the hub of the trailer.

Multi-meter.

Spare impeller.

A length of hose that fits over the spout of a Jerry can(need to fit snug,so wont fall off) that will reach your tank.

One end on can, one end in tank= no spillage.

Also assortment of fasteners and screws(stainless steel).

And some of the other stuff mention

It seem like a lot, but will fit in a large zip lock bag.

I carry alot in the truck.