Cheapy Braid Option?

Weeds

Hey all. Anybody ever tried spooling a baitcaster with Hi Tec Polar Ice Braided Ice Line? My second baitcaster was spooled with 20 pound powerpro and I found the diameter was a little too small for my liking, I was getting some pretty ugly birdsnests and backlashes and even snapping the line when getting tangles while throwing larger lures. My primary baitcaster is spooled with 80lb Spiderwire stealth braid and when I do manage to backlash it I find it is much easier to work out the tangles. So I'm thinking, in my opinion, that large line diameter is actually desirable when it comes to choosing line for a baitcaster, providing you use a fluro leader or small diameter braid for the last metre. I know alot of people will disagree with that statement and I could very easily be wrong for numerous reasons. Let me Know it. At $4.50 for a hundred yards of 40 pound test of this stuff it works out to be a very cheap way of filling a spool, particularly when you consider how thick it is. Now I understand that there may be a few drawbacks with a large diameter line like sacrificing casting distance and lure running depth but still, for those on the cheap or just learning to use a baitcaster, or who really hate dealing with backlashes; it might be an option. Anyways, I just spooled up with it and will see how it works this weekend. If anybody else wants to give it a shot, the stuff is in the Ice fishing section at Wally Mart, $4.50 a hundred yards and is bright red. just sharing my experience here.

Cheers, Ross

Ok, IMHO there is nothing wrong with using cheapo line to start off with. Now I only use 50# PP on two of my baitcasters and 14# PP on the other 2. When I started out I bought the cheapest line I could find since I new I was going to backlash alot. The only problem with a thicker line is casting distance. I say go for it, its a learning experiance or trial and error.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

OCH

Well, I tried it out. It was alright, not going to put powerpro out of business but I think a really good option for anybody just learning or on a budget. I think a hundred yards of it would probably fill most spools. It cast all right, but on quick retrieves it really sops up,then flings, alot of water. I'll continue to use it on my back up reel for now and we'll see how it fares.