Todays Theme.......snow

brandon

0 degrees up on Mt. Seymour tonite and from the city I could see some snow so I decided to try my hand at winter photography.......snow and ice make for some good photo opportunities but man is that white stuff ever slick......i beefed a few times up there lol......but anyways heres 5 of the 200 i took.......well i guess its 15 of the 200 cuz theyre HDR......but anyways......here ya go....

this one is similar to a previous one I took however its a completely different location and the sun and sky made for a cool looking shot

083_4_5_tonemappedresize.jpg

With all that snow and the sun beating down on it there is surely to be some runoff....

092_3_4_tonemappedresize.jpg

I just thought this was a cool looking scene......lots to look at

101_2_3_tonemappedresize.jpg

gorgeous sunset over mystery lake.....

180_1_2_tonemappedresize-1.jpg

I left mystery lake fairly early cuz it was gettin dark fast and i wish i woulda hung out a little longer cuz the moon made an appearance.......this shot is from the parking lot

204_5_6_tonemappedresize.jpg

enjoy.....

that first pic is my favourite... but, i was wondering, do you have the single non-HDR image? the more i see HDR the more unreal looking it is to me, but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!! And i think the first one would be a beauty shot on it's own!!

phat bassturd,

the thing with HDR is it allows the good parts of each photo to all be seen at once. Here are the 3 original photos and none of them look special at all. But when combined using the HDR method it looks just like it did when I was there. In my opinion HDR shows the image as close to what the naked eye can see and to me that's what its all about. I like to take a photo and capture that exact moment as close as possible.....same scene....same colours....same everything....and HDR makes that possible.

083resize.jpg

084resize.jpg

085resize.jpg

and the HDR image

083_4_5_tonemappedresize.jpg

while in taht case i won't deny the HDR image is nicer, i still think it looks a bit like an old postcard... as i said, it's all about ones perception... like the clouds moving in and dark shading

I remember a chat we had on MSN where you didn't like to do any PP cause it wasn't exactly as you saw... it's totally upto you, just not my cup of tea... but yep, i do enjoy the images!!

To be honest I didnt like photoshopping or editing photos and I still don't. However one thing that is still true is I try to take the photo so it looks just like the scene and with HDR that becomes possible or as possible as it can be without actually being there

I see what PB is talking about, but it's also how the photographer adjust the final settings with HDR. In some photos, I like the painting postcard kind of look as in others the natural look is much better. I like making structures like wood, cement and rocks using a more enhanced look, I think they look neat that way, but that's just my choice. I was at a trading post today and they had a bunch of framed pics that were just black and white, and as I'm not usually particular to black and white, these photos were awesome. I'm still trying to really get a grip of this HDR stuff, so that the final finished pic will be exactly the best that it could be, but with all the settings, it can get to where your just not sure anymore if its good or bad. I've had a few that looked OK at the time, but then another day I see it and think it's not so good, so I try to fix it all over. So feedback both positive and negative is good, so I can improve my pictures. Some pictures I still find better left untouched and those ones stay that way.

Well I know that I really enjoy HDR. I was actually surprised to hear, a few days back, that Deano and Brandon were such big fans of it as well. But it's something new, and maybe it will wear off in time. There's a lot of different things that you can do with all of those sliders. You can keep it natural looking of you can go for the "cartoonish" look. While doing my research, I read somewhere that the results that you can get with HDR are similar to the results that you'd get with a $40,000.00 camera. There has to be some truth to that. The detail that it brings out is incredible. Whether this is cutting edge technology, or a passing fad, it's fun. And I plan on using it for quite a while.

This is a sample photo from the PhotoMatix web site. This shot just blows me away.

HDRblueshacks.jpg