Trout fishing question

Toronto_Angler

Hey all,

I'm going to try for some Bows and Browns at Bluffers park and I have a couple of questions. What's the best way of fishing a roe sac? I'll be fishing at night so I was just thinking of fishing it a couple of feet off the bottom (I fish near the boat launch) and just leave my rod in a holder and wait for a hit. Is this a correct technique or is there something better? This is my first time fishing for Trout and can't really find much info for fishing them in a marina type area rather then streams.

Thanks for the help.

Using a float & a small roe bag about a foot off bottom is your best bet over by the launch ramps. I'd also suggest picking up a few 'Woolie Buggers,' the various combinations of black / green & gold seem to look like SOMETHING the browns recognize as a tasty morsel. Just make sure your rod is well anchored and don't take your eyes off it for long . . . . I've seen some VERY big browns come outta there!! Plus, there's the occasional errant salmon still comes in there around this time!

Using a float & a small roe bag about a foot off bottom is your best bet over by the launch ramps. I'd also suggest picking up a few 'Woolie Buggers,' the various combinations of black / green & gold seem to look like SOMETHING the browns recognize as a tasty morsel. Just make sure your rod is well anchored and don't take your eyes off it for long . . . . I've seen some VERY big browns come outta there!! Plus, there's the occasional errant salmon still comes in there around this time!

Cool, thanks!

toronto_angler, Let me know how it turns out for you at Bluffers. I go there all the time to fish for Pike and Trout, but I never use roe bags for Browns.. usually just Rapala X-Raps, Taildancers and Husky Jerks, and they work okay, but the Trout bite there is very slow all the time.. your best bet is for some nice gators lurking in the weeds..

Egg sinker, 1/2 oz or whatever you feel necessary to get to the fish. Then a barrel swivel. From there attach a 2-3 foot lead of flourocarbon (absolutely necessary if you're still-fishing as the fish have far more time to inspect the roe bag). Then a small hook and your roe bag. Experiment using floaters or non-floaters, and different colors of roe bags. White is my personal fav. Cast out, stick your rod in the holder and sit back. They will smack it a few times before they take it most of the time. If you get a smack and nothing after about 30 seconds, reel the roe bag about 10 inches along the bottom and continue waiting. Sometimes it will trigger an aggressive strike.

This is the setup I use on Lake Erie tributary mouths.

Oh yeah, use a long rod. A 7 footer won't do. At least 9 is necessity.