Motor Storage

Nayyer

Hello Members,

My name is Sardar and from Toronto. I am a regular reader of this great board but unfortunately don't post because of time constraint.

I have a question. I have a 2hp evinrude motor and have heated space to store it in winter. Do I still need to give some treatment to motor during storage.

Best regards

Sardar

Good advise Lew.

I would add to that with,take the plugs out and spray some 3 in 1 oil in the ports and give the motor a few pulls.(with the plugs out)Then put the plugs back in. Will help with removing any condinsation and will keep everything well lubed til next year.

BTW

WELCOME

I use a 4 hp Mercury 2 stroke...my bro-in-law had it stored away for over three years with no winterizing and after we poured in some gas, Big Cliff gave it a pull and it started right away...???

However that fall we had Buckeye Marine look it over real good and they replaced some minor parts and winterized it for a total of $98 ($65 just to take the cover off...LOL)

Have had it winterized every fall since...

Don't bother with the fogging oil if you are storing indoors. If you plan to use it next year then just run fuel stabiliser in the gas mixed to the "storage" ratio on the bottle and change the lower unit oil. If its going down for a long nap (2 years or more) then drain the carb and fog the engine.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say fog it no matter where you put it. Heated areas still go thru humidity cycles and the inside of your engine can look like a tropical rain forest at times from condensation. I've had guys buy freshly overhauled aircraft engines and then store them in their heated shops/basements etc for 6 months or so before they are ready to install. By the time they get their bird in the air the camshaft has rusted..as have all the throws on the crank etc. This pitting destroys their lifters and the cam and within 20 hours the engine is back in the shop for major work and they try to tell me it's my fault or the engine shops fault. For what a can of fogging oil costs......

I agree Wayne. Also oil into the spark plug hole is good too but it does not coat the crankshaft and lower end bearing surfaces below the piston. Spray fogging oil into the carb as it is running to coat it best. Fogging oil is the best product to use as it does not evaporate off surfaces.