RAW support for Canon S-series cameras with this tool!

bigfish1965

It requires a bit of computer knowledge but now thankfully you can have RAW support in your S-series Canon (S2 through to S5).

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

That's interesting Rick. Have you tried it? If you have, what are your file sizes? I have the ability to shoot RAW with my Sony 717, but rarely use it. It's nice to know that it's there though. I do find it difficult to believe that a third party software can allow your camera to shoot RAW. If it was that simple, you'd think that the manufacturer would include it. It's a big selling feature. Try it out and let us know how it goes. I'm very interested to see what the RAW file sizes are for starters.

I only shoot RAW, 10mb file size, but greater control when PP as the camera leaves it well alone and my camera isn't known for "good" out of camera jpg ayways... think it'll help out some folks here, but i too am curious (maybe nervous) about installing 3rd party firmware- wonder what it would do for the warranty?

I just added the software Dan. Having a few issues but I can shoot raw now. The images come out ghosted right now, but I just started. The firmware hack gives lots of extras like continuous live histogram, etc.

Canon saves the RAW ability for other cameras and isn't even on the new S5. So far there's been no issues other than I have no idea what to do with the RAW images...

The files are huge for sure.

Also trying to add the ability to shoot three images at once with three different exposure/ISO settings..so far no luck there. I know Kodak can do it.

The images actually look fine out of the camera but photoshop mangles them a bit but there are so many settings when saving to raw from crw I am likely messing something up.

The firmware upgrade stays on the SD card and doesn't overwrite the original...it just boots the extra stuff from the card when you start up the camera. Take out the card or wipe it clean and you are back at factory settings.

Well that is interesting Rick. A live histogram is probably my best exposure tool. And a RAW image is basically not compressed, so there's way more detail there to work with.

It sounds like you're attempting to try out the HDR thing. I'm not sure that you're going about it the right way. You don't want to be changing the ISO between your 3 shots, but rather the exposure value. You should be using your cameras bracketing feature. And yes, your camera does have that feature. There's two ways to change the exposure value. One way is by changing the shutter speed and the other way is to change the aperture setting. For HDR, you want to change the shutter speed rather than the aperture to ensure that your depth of field doesn't change. So shutter priority mode is your best bet. Find how to set your cameras bracketing feature and you're off to the races. You'll need a tripod too. If you need more help, just holler Bud..

Huh? Bracketing? I don't know how to alter the shutter speed at all, but will play with it.

Got my GF to agree to some pics so I want them to turn out perfect. I have a tripod and some extra huge flood lighting. Looking for a slave flash next.

May move up tp the S5 once the prices come down.

Huh? Bracketing? I don't know how to alter the shutter speed at all, but will play with it.

Bracketing does that for you Rick. In fact, that's exactly what it does. Go into your camera menu and look for bracketing. It's in there somewhere.